Master of Arts in Management and Leadership
This curriculum is designed for individuals who are seeking a graduate degree with broad general management and leadership perspective.
The MA in management and leadership is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Students will be able to explain the important terminology, concepts, principles, analytic techniques and theories used in management and leadership.
- Students will be able to effectively apply important terminology, concepts, principles, analytic techniques and theories used in management and leadership when analyzing situations.
- Students will be able to effectively integrate important concepts, principles and theories used management and leadership when developing solutions to multifaceted problems in complex situations.
The 36 credit hours required for the master of arts (MA) in management and leadership must include the following courses:
- MNGT 5000 Management Dynamics (Requisite Course) (3 hours)
- MNGT 5590 Organizational Behavior (3 hours)
- HRMG 5000 Managing Human Resources (3 hours)
- BUSN 5200 Basic Finance for Managers (3 hours)
- MNGT 5650 Management and Strategy (3 hours)
- MNGT 5670 Managerial Leadership (3 hours)
- HRDV 5630 Organization Development and Change (3 hours)
- MNGT 6000 Integrated Studies in Management (3 hours)
In addition, the student chooses elective courses offered in this major and/or from the program curricula of other George Herbert Walker School of Business & Technology majors.
If the requisite course is waived, the student must choose an elective course from this major or from the program curriculum of another George Herbert Walker School of Business & Technology major. Students pursuing dual majors who have the requisite course(s) waived will complete only the remaining required courses for the dual majors.
The Management and leadership program has 12 hours of elective credit. Students can customize this generalist degree by using these hours to capture an emphasis. Four emphases are shown below, with their parent departments.
Cybersecurity* (Math & Computer Science)
- CSSS 5000 Introduction to Cybersecurity (3 hours)
- CSSS 5120 Cybersecurity Infrastructures (3 hours)
- CSSS 5210 Cybersecurity Law and Policy (3 hours)
- CSSS 5220 Cybersecurity Threat Detection (3 hours)
Digital Marketing Management (Management)
- MRKT 5000 Marketing (3 hours)
- MRKT 5740 Management of Digital Marketing (3 hours)
- MRKT 5895 Marketing Analytics* (3 hours)
- MRKT 5750 Management of Social Media (3 hours)
- MRKT 5790 Digital Marketing Strategy (3 hours)
*BUSN 5760 or MRKT 5890 is a prerequisite course and must be taken prior to MRKT 5895.
Health Administration (Business)
- HLTH 5000 Organization and Management in Health Administration (3 hours)
- HLTH 5050 Financial Management in Health Administration (3 hours)
- HLTH 5140 Health Administration Law (3 hours)
- MRKT 5000 Marketing (3 hours)
- MRKT 5610 Marketing Channel Management (3 hours)
- MRKT 5720 Promotional Management (3 hours)
- or MRKT 5740 Management of Digital Marketing (3 hours)
- MRKT 5960 Marketing Management (3 hours)
- Any MRKT designated course or elective courses listed in the MS in marketing program (3 hours)
Organizational Development (Management)
- ORDV 5000 Practicing Organizational Development (3 hours)
- ORDV 5100 Change Leader Self-Mastery (3 hours)
- ORDV 5200 Organizational Development Consulting Practices (3 hours)
- ORDV 5300 Data-Driven Approaches to Organizational Development (3 hours)
Project Management* (Business)
- BUSN 5100 Introduction to Project Management (3 hours)
- BUSN 5300 Project Procurement Management (3 hours)
- BUSN 5700 Advances in Project Management (3 hours) (Prerequisites: BUSN 5100 and BUSN 5760)
*Completion of a cybersecurity or project management emphasis also qualifies a student for a certificate in the area. To gain the certificate, students must pay a second graduation fee.
Graduate Entry Requirements
- Signed Application Form
- Proof of English Proficiency:
- TOEFL: PBT 550 | iBT 80
- IELTS: 6.5
- Pearson: 53
- Undergraduate Transcripts
- Essay: 300-500 word essay on a topic of your choice OR Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Certificate of Finance showing $Tuition plus $16,000
- Copy of Passport ID Page
- Official University/College Transcripts (for Transfer Students)
- Some programs have additional entry requirements. Please contact your advisor for more information.
Applicants to the management and leadership (MA) must have completed a business or business-related undergraduate degree meeting the following criteria:
- University/college is regionally accredited
- The business school must have a business-related accreditation (e.g. AACSB, ACBSP, IACBE, etc.)
Applicants who do not meet these qualifications must do one of the following:
- Successfully complete BUSN 5000.
- Note: BUSN 5000 will count as an elective in the program. This option is only available for students who are required to take BUSN 5000.
Complete all of the following undergraduate courses (or their equivalents) with a grade of C- or better (17 credit hours total, not including individual course prerequisites:
- MNGT 2100 Management Theory and Practices
- ACCT 2010 Financial Accounting
- BUSN 2750 Introduction to Statistics
- ECON 2000 Survey of Economics
- MNGT 3500 Marketing
- BUSN 3500 Business and Global Issues
- BUSN 4500 Ethical Issues in Business
Advancement to Candidacy
Students are admitted to their graduate program upon completion of all admission requirements. Students are advanced to candidacy status after successfully completing 12 credit hours of graduate credit, with grades of B- or better. In the MBA program and other specialized programs, courses required as prerequisites to the program do not count toward the 12 credit hours required for advancement.