If you are looking to undertake a practical, project based art foundation course which will help you build an accomplished individual portfolio of creative work, the Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media provides you with a fantastic opportunity. This fully accredited online course, delivered by the Interactive Design Institute (IDI), will help you on the way to a career, and provide you with a stepping stone onto degree level study. On successful completion of the Level 3 Foundation Diploma, you will have the opportunity to progress on to one of the BA (Hons) courses in Fine Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, Interior Architecture and Design, and Photography, accredited by the University of Hertfordshire and delivered to you 100% online by IDI. The Level 3 Foundation Diploma is also ideal if you are simply looking to improve your artistic skills.
What does the course involve?
On the course you will work towards a Final Major Project in the subject area of your choice. The course takes place over three semesters which will be completed over the course of one year, during which you will complete various projects and activities intended to develop your understanding of the creative process. Over the duration of the course you will:
- Develop your creative skills by exploring a wide range of subject matter and experimenting with a variety of media
- Learn about the history of art and design and research contemporary art and artists and designers whose work inspires you
- Gain confidence in your own ability to work well individually and to make informed decisions about your future in the art and design industry
- Create an individual portfolio with the guidance of your tutor that will help with your progress into further education in art related subjects
UCAS Tariff Points
The Level 3 Foundation Diploma is split into 8 units split over 3 stages – the Exploratory, Pathway and Confirmatory stages. The Confirmatory stage is graded and leads to the following UCAS points:
- Pass: 165 pts
- Merit: 225 pts
- Distinction: 285 pts
Successful completion of the Confirmatory stage leads to guaranteed entry into one of the BA (Hons) courses in Fine Art, Graphic Design, Illustration, Interior Architecture and Design, and Photography, from the University of Hertfordshire and provided online by IDI.
Studying with IDI
There are many benefits of studying the Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media online with IDI, including:
- Gaining a recognised qualification approved by the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF) and awarded by ABC Awards, one of the UKs largest vocational awarding bodies
- Improving your chances of further education with qualification that is the equivalent of a BTEC National Diploma in Art and Design and is respected by art colleges and universities throughout the UK
- Having guaranteed entry onto one of the online BA (Hons) courses delivered online by IDI on successful completion of the Confirmatory stage
- Being able to study towards the Level 3 Foundation Diploma fully online at times that suit you with no real time lectures, tutorials or exams
- Receiving one-to-one tuition and feedback from your tutors who will guide you to completion of your Final Major Project
- Taking part in a global community of students within the online forums in IDI-Study
We like to see evidence of previous study within art and design or visual evidence of art and design experience. Here is some advice about the type of creative work that you could include a portfolio. If you need further information don’t hesitate to contact our admissions team.
UK applicants normally require three GCSE passes at grade C or above, and at least one GCE A2 Level at grade E or above.
International applicants would normally have completed 12 years of school education and have a Certificate of Secondary Education or equivalent from a vocational school or college.
For those whose first language is not English, IELTS 5.5 or equivalent is required.
Contact us for further details.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 12, 2017