Learn how to bring people with you as you lead or manage organisational change and navigate challenges to keep them on-board.
Ensure people-centred change in your organisation stays on track
Many leaders and managers struggle when it comes to managing change, especially if it affects people. This course looks at how we can manage people-centred change effectively. You will learn the importance of bringing people with you through change, and consider the moments where change can go wrong and how to avoid them.
Change does not need to be overwhelming, if it is managed well - find out what those of us with leadership or management responsibilities can do to keep things on track with this course.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Preparing for change
- Six key leadership practices to underpin successful change
- Identifying people-focussed benefits
- Appreciating different perspectives of change
- Identifying, analysing and communicating to key people (stakeholders) affected by the change
Week 2: During change
- Recognising the emotions of, and responses to, change
- Communication styles
- Creating an effective dialogue
- Involving people in the change process
Week 3: Sustaining change
- Monitoring the implementation of change
- Protecting the change from risks and threats
- Sharing practical examples to address issues
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Describe the role of leadership in organisational change.
- Explain ways to gain commitment from people during change.
- Identify ways to sustain change through people.
- Describe an approach that will enable change to be sustained.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for anyone who either leads or manages people or will shortly be in such a position. In particular, it will be useful to people new to leadership roles and practitioners in human resources, organisational development and internal communications.
Who will you learn with?
Professor Julie Hodges
I am an academic, author and consultant focusing on change in organisations. My particular area of specialism is people-centred change and I have written a number of books on this subject.
Who developed the course?
Durham University is a collegiate university with long traditions and modern values, proud to be an international scholarly community which reflects the ambitions of cultures from around the world.
Durham University Business School
Durham University Business School connects students and alumni with global companies, linking businesses with incisive and innovative thinking.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.