Get an introduction to Ireland’s culture by learning the basics of the Irish language.
Engage with Irish culture and history through language
Ireland is home to a unique language and vibrant Gaelic culture.
On this course, you’ll discover how Irish people drew inspiration from nature to create their own unique script and alphabet.
You’ll explore Ireland’s rich culture of dance, Gaelic games, music, storytelling and literature. And you’ll gain an insight into the language of Ireland and the people who speak it.
So take the first step on your journey to learn one of the oldest literary languages in Europe.
Bígí linn – join us!
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the Irish language
- Ogham and the first writing in Irish
- The alphabet & pronunciation
- Greetings, blessings and curses
- Irish names and mythology
- Me, my family and where I come from
- An overview of the Gaeltachtaí and other cultural places in Ireland
- Numbers and counting
- The home and social life
- Amenities, directions and Gaelic sport
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 7 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Engage with the Irish language through culture.
- Discuss greetings, blessings and curses in the Irish language.
- Describe your family, your home and your interests.
- Explore the cultural association of the language with mythology, sport and music.
- Explore the beginnings of the written language through learning about OGHAM and the origins of the Irish alphabet.
- Discuss where you and your people come from.
- Compare Irish names and gain an understanding of naming conventions in Irish.
- Identify the Gaeltachtaí or Irish speaking areas where Irish is the main language of communication.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in the Irish language, history and culture.
Who will you learn with?
Ollamh le Gaeilge in DCU. Eochair do chultúr agus d'oidhreacht na tíre í an Ghaeilge, dar liom. Professor of Irish in DCU. I believe that Irish is key to the culture and heritage of Ireland.
Mairéad Nic Giolla Mhichíl
I am an associate professor of Information Technology here at Dublin City University. Supporting students to speak, engage and experience Irish in its many forms is a central facet of my role.
Conchúr Mac Lochlainn
I am a designer and doctoral candidate working to better understand the motivations and self-concepts of those learning Irish. I enjoy helping learners explore both these themes and our language.
Caitríona Nic Giolla Mhichíl
I am a teacher of Irish and History and lecture through Irish in Dublin City University. I enjoy helping those who wish to learn how to speak Irish and discover the rich culture woven through it.
Who developed the course?
Dublin City University
Dublin City University is a young, dynamic and ambitious Irish university with a distinctive mission to transform lives and societies through education, research and innovation.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.