Discover Extended Reality (XR) and learn how the power of this technology is being harnessed in a variety of industries.
Discover how Extended Reality (XR) is transforming our world
From immersive experiences to providing simulation and therapy in health, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR), collectively known as Extended Reality (XR), make it possible to go beyond the realm of what was previously thought.
On this course, you’ll explore the tools and technologies that support the features and applications of VR, AR and MR.
You’ll discover the basic concepts of creating VR, AR and MR experiences as well as the ethics involved in developing these kinds of applications. You’ll use published articles and hear from experts on how they’ve applied VR, AR and MR technology in their various fields.
What topics will you cover?
- The fundamentals of XR (VR, AR and MR).
- The ethics surrounding the creation of XR applications.
- Careers/pathways in and skills in XR.
- The technologies and tools in creating XR projects.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Describe the basic concepts of VR, AR, and MR.
- Describe how XR is being used in industries beyond entertainment.
- Describe the potential benefits of using XR applications in the real world.
- Explore the tools and technologies used in XR.
- Identify the ethical considerations of developing XR applications.
- Identify the hallmarks of successful VR, AR and MR experiences.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in VR applications, understanding the features applied in creative dynamic VR application, or learning more about the technologies and domains of VR.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Essential Creative Technologies collection from UAL Creative Computing Institute, Lancaster University and the Institute of Coding.
Who will you learn with?
Abe Karnik is a Lecturer in Human-Computer Interaction at Lancaster University. He is involved in the creation of novel interactive systems including 3D displays, AR/VR environments and haptics.
Who developed the course?
Lancaster University is a collegiate university, with a global reputation as a centre for research, scholarship and teaching with an emphasis on employability.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
Lancaster University is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course.
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes.
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible.
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.