Explore the world of user interfaces and accessible design, and discover how you can start a career as a UX designer.
Learn how to design more accessible user interfaces
User interfaces are the part of the technology that connects you to your devices, humans to algorithms – allowing people to take their ideas and turn them into products.
Interfaces are vital to modern technology. But how can we ensure they’re accessible for all users? On this course, you’ll learn from disabled user experience (UX) experts about the issues facing disabled users.
Week 1 - Inclusive interfaces
- Welcome to the course
- What is it like to be a user?
- Designing for accessibility
- Designing interfaces for accessibility
- What impact can accessible interfaces have?
Week 2 - Applying accessibility
- Welcome back
- Accessible websites
- The accessible design cycle
- Facing the future: careers in this area
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explain the role of user experience (UX) and interfaces in design.
- Compare different types of digital UX design problems.
- Explore the accessible design approach.
- Identify the roles and skills needed in the field of accessible interface design.
- Describe the main features of accessible digital UX design.
- Describe principles behind accessible website UX.
- Explore approaches and stages of accessible design.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at early-career creative technologists, established technologists looking to extend their skills, as well as professionals from wider fields looking to understand more about accessible design, and the importance and opportunities that user interfaces and creative technologies present.
Who will you learn with?
Mick Grierson is Professor of Creative Computing at UAL Creative Computing Institute.
Who developed the course?
UAL Creative Computing Institute
The UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI) offers innovative new courses, research opportunities and a public platform to explore computer science and creative practice.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
UAL Creative Computing Institute is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course.
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes.
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible.
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.