- Teaching period: 6 to 30 July 2020
- Teaching hours: 80
- Academic coordinator: Santiago Mora Parada
- Knowledge area: Experimental Psychology
Nowadays, neuroscience plays a crucial role in the field of Psychology, from its most basic study to its clinical applicability. The growing research in neuroscience has led to the development of new clinical tools that provide an important bunch of knowledge in order to treat Nervous System affections. Thus, it is mandatory to instruct qualified personal in the neuroscience field, capable of performing both research and clinical application functions in a professional and rigorous manner. This course aims to provide additional education in neuroscience to Psychology students or anyone interested in clinical or research neuroscientific field.
The University of Almería offers numerous subjects about neuroscience, especially for Psychology degree students. Neuroscience is also an important subject in Masters like the official Master in Nervous Systems Sciences. A neuroscientific viewpoint is presented in the University of Almería by qualified and experienced professors and lecturers in the field. Faculty members and other prestigious experts will participate in the course in order to provide the students with enough knowledge, skills, and tool to work as a neuroscientist.
Being a universal discipline whose peculiarities do not vary depending on the country in which it is exercise, neuroscience should be especially attractive for international students who are interested in new fields of study and further tools for understanding behavior. The development of this course is supported by the Faculty of Psychology of the University of Almeria and the CTS-280 group: Psychopharmacology, neurotoxicology, and neuropsychology.
- To know the basics of Neuroscience
- To distinguish different study paradigms in Neuroscience
- To get familiar with the most used tools in Neuroscience, including neuroimaging, neurostimulation, and neurobehavioral paradigms
- To know the neurofunctional basis of psychological processes such as emotion, inhibitory control, and personality: from basic studies to psychopathology
- To know the latest advances in the neuroscientific field
- To know about the applicability of Neuroscience: the real work of a Neuropsychologist in rehabilitation
Module 1: Introduction to experimental and clinical Neuroscience
- What is Neuroscience?
- How does Neuroscience help in psychological diseases?
- Introduction to Neuroscience: animal research
- Introduction to Neuroscience: human research
Module B: Neuroscience of emotion
- Emotion disorders: depression, anxiety, posttraumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, phobias
- Study of emotion in animals
- Study of emotion in humans
- Practice: VIrtual visit to the Basic Psychology Laboratory of the University of Almeria in order to know closely about the most used techniques in the neuroscience of emotion research field
Module C: Neuroscience of inhibitory control
- Inhibitory control disorders: substance use disorders, pathological gambling, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Study of inhibitory control in animals
- Study of inhibitory control in humans
- Practice: VIrtual visit to the Basic Psychology Laboratory of the University of Almeria in order to know closely about the most used neurobehavioral paradigms in the neuroscience of the inhibitory control research field
Module D: Neuroscience of personality
- Personality disorders: borderline personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder
- Study of individual differences in animals
- Study of individual differences in humans
- Personality traits
- Practice: Self-assessment of personality traits through standardized questionnaires: application, correction, and interpretation
Module E: “Neurosci-fi”
The most current and innovative ideas that are shaking the current panorama of Neuroscience (artificial intelligence, brain transplants) will be addressed, sharing the latest advances in the field of the study of the Nervous system, discussing its feasibility and scientific rigor, as well as proposing ideas for improvements and potential applications.
The course will be taught in Spanish and English (both modalities applied). The methodology will be practical since the content will be approached from an applied perspective, both at the research and clinical level. A climate of active participation will be created, where the student is invited to reflect, debate and active participation. New technologies, such as the Kahoot app, will be incorporated into the classes. Interviews, films, or mini-documentaries relevant to the course content will be screened. In addition, in each module the tools used in the study of each thematic area will be closely understood: the most current neurobehavioral tests, questionnaires, neuroimaging devices, behavioral measures, and neurostimulation techniques will be used through laboratory virtual visits which are detailed below. Through the evaluation process, it is intended that students develop their ability to search for information, synthesis, and exposure. The course will count with the participation of two professional experts, who will carry out a Q&A (Questions and Answers) conference to learn about the professional field of Psychology from a clinical as well as a neuropsychological perspective.
Professional visits and Complementary Academic Activities
Visits to a research center within the Campus:
- Virtual visit to the Basic Psychology Animal Laboratory of the University of Almeria: learn about the basic techniques of animal experimentation.
- Virtual visit to the Basic Psychology Human Laboratory of the University of Almería: the role of the subject and the experimenter.
Activity of questions and answers (Q&A) from professionals outside the campus:
- Q&A conference with Diego Díaz Gutiérrez (Collegiate Number: AO11029), Clinical Psychologist who is also part of the Psychological Center of the University of Almería.
- Q&A conference from the Instituto de Neurorehabilitación InPaula S.L. Spin-off company of the University of Almería with Young Innovative Company mention by AENOR.
To pass the course, it will be necessary to attend at least 80% of the online hours, as well as the realization of a report at the end of the course on one of the topics offered by the teaching staff at the beginning of the course.
About the School
The University of Almería, Spain, organizes summer courses each July since 2013. They are designed by the most prestigious experts of the leading-edge fields of our University and are taught by Doctor ... Read More