Explore the thriving independent video games industry, and develop the skills to kickstart your career in the sector.
Learn how great indie games are made and what it takes to work in the industry
The video games sector is booming, employing more than 16,000 people in the UK. Moreover, 99.5% of all UK games companies are small and medium-sized independent enterprises.
On this course, you will explore the thriving independent games sector. You’ll examine its cultural and economic importance, meeting and learning from the creators and teams who make the games you love.
You will develop an understanding of what indie games are, how they’re made, the skills required to work in the industry, and how you can go about developing these skills in order to launch your own career in the sector.
Week 1 - Exploring indie games and the industry
- Welcome to the course
- Games studios and independent design
- Why do independent games matter?
- End of the week
Week 2 - Developing the skills and knowledge for a future in games
- Welcome back
- Indie games and pitching ideas
- Understanding roles and skills
- Facing the future and new ideas: How might the industry evolve?
- Next steps
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Describe the characteristics and definitions of an indie game.
- Summarise the process of making a game and understand the elements needed to create a game pitch.
- Compare different indie games and gain an understanding of different styles of gameplay.
- Explain the various funding models that can be used to finance an indie game project.
- Identify the skills required to work in game design or game development.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about the independent games industry, whether you’re a gamer, or someone looking for a career in the sector. You might also be interested in the other courses in the Essential Creative Technologies collection from UAL Creative Computing Institute, Lancaster University and the Institute of Coding.
What software or tools do you need?
To take part in this course you need a laptop or tablet device with access to the internet.
Who will you learn with?
Mick Grierson is Professor of Creative Computing at UAL Creative Computing Institute.
Who developed the course?
UAL Creative Computing Institute
The UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI) offers innovative new courses, research opportunities and a public platform to explore computer science and creative practice.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
UAL Creative Computing Institute is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.