Learn from leading academics and practitioners from around the world about the innovations, technology, and regulation driving the transformation of finance.
About this course
Over the past decade emerging technologies, paired with massive changes in regulations, have driven an unprecedented transformation of finance around the world. This process is happening more rapidly in China and Asia than anywhere else. This course is designed to explore FinTech fundamentals and help make sense of this wave of change as it happens.
New players such as start-ups and technology firms are challenging traditional players in finance, bringing democratization, inclusion, and disruption. Companies engaged in social media, e-commerce, and telecommunications, as well as, companies and start-ups with large customer data pools, creative energies, and technical capacities, have brought competition to the existing financial infrastructure and are remaking the industry.
These transformations have not only created challenges but also unprecedented opportunities, building synergies with new business and regulatory models, particularly in emerging markets and developing countries. To meet these changes, 21st-century professionals and students must be equipped with up-to-date knowledge of the industry and its incredible evolution. This course – designed by HKU with the support of SuperCharger and the Centre for Finance, Technology and Education – is designed to enable learners with the necessary tools to understand the complex interaction of finance, technology, and regulation.
In this course, through a series of video lectures, case studies, and assessments you will explore the major areas of FinTech including, beginning with What is FinTech before turning to Money, Payment and Emerging Technologies, Digital Finance and Alternative Finance, FinTech Regulation and RegTech, Data and Security, and the Future of Data-Driven Finance, as well as, the core technologies driving FinTech including Blockchain, AI and Big Data. These will set the stage for understanding the FinTech landscape and ecosystem and grappling with the potential direction of future change.
Learners who complete theThe Introduction to FinTech course are qualified as 'Certified FinTech Professional' under the Global Academy of Finance and Management (GAFM)
What you'll learn
- The major areas in FinTech, including Money and Payment, Digital Finance and Alternative Finance.
- Major technological trends, including cryptocurrencies, Blockchain, AI and Big Data.
- FinTech Regulation and RegTech.
- The fundamental role of Data and Security in data-driven finance.
- Business and regulatory implications of technology for the financial industry.
- How regulations and RegTech are applied.
- Ways to analyze and evaluate what is driving technology innovation in Finance.
- How new technology impacts economies, markets, companies, and individuals.
Module 1 What is FinTech?
- FinTech Transformation
- FinTech Evolution 1.0: Infrastructure
- FinTech Evolution 2.0: Banks
FinTech Evolution 3.0 & 3.5: Startups and Emerging Markets
- Industry Showcase: Collaboration between Financial Institutions and Startups
- FinTech Typology
- Emerging Economies: Opportunities and Challenges
- From too-Small-To-Care to Too-Big-To-Fail
Introduction to Regulation
- Industry Showcase: The Future of RegTech and 6 Technologies Impacting It
Module 2 Payments, Cryptocurrencies, and Blockchain
- Individual Payments
- Developing Countries and DFS: The Story of Mobile Money
- Developing Countries and DFS: Regulation of Mobile Money
- RTGS Systems
- The ABCDs of Alternative Finance
- Building a New stack
- Industry Showcase: Legal and Regulatory Implications of Cryptocurrencies
What is Blockchain?
- Industry Showcase: The Benefits from New Payment Stacks (Applications of Ripple)
Module 3 Digital Finance and Alternative Finance
- A Brief History of Financial Innovation
- Digitization of Financial Services
FinTech & Funds
- Industry Showcase: How AI is Transforming the Future of FinTech
- Industry Showcase: Ensuring Compliance from the Start: Suitability and Funds
- Crowdfunding – Regards, Charity, and Equity
- P2P and Marketplace Lending
- The Rise of Chinese TechFins – New Models and New Products
- What is an ICO?
Module 4 FinTech Regulation and RegTech
- FinTech Regulations
- Evolution of RegTech
- RegTech Ecosystem: Financial Institutions
- RegTech Ecosystem: Startups
- RegTech Startups: Challenges
RegTech Ecosystem: Regulators
- Industry Showcase: Use Case of AI in Smart Regulation and Fraud Detection
- Regulatory Sandboxes
- Smart Regulation
- Redesigning Better Financial Infrastructure
Module 5 Data & TechFin
- History of Data Regulation
Data in Financial Services
- Industry Showcase: Application of Data Analytics in Finance
European Big-Bang: PSD2/GDPR/Mifid2
- Industry Showcase: PSD2: Open Banking API Will Help Startups
- Industry Showcase: Methods of Data Protection: GDPR Compliance and Personal Privacy
- Digital Identity
- Change in mindset: Regulation 1.0 to 2.0 (KYC to KYD)
- AI & Governance
- New Challenges of AI and Machine Learning
- Data, Metadata and Differential Privacy
Data is the New Oil: Risk of Breach
- Industry Showcase: Cybersecurity Industry Update
Module 6 The Future of Data-Driven Finance
- Case Study 1: Revolut
- Case Study 2: Alibaba
- Case Study 3: Aadhaar
- Case Study 4: Credit Karma
- Case Study 5: Digibank
- Conclusion to Case Studies
- FinTech Big Trends - Looking Forward
- Length: 6 Weeks
- Effort: 1–3 hours per week
- Price: FREE; Add a Verified Certificate for $99 USD
- Institution: HKUx
- Subject: Economics & Finance
- Level: Introductory
- Language: English
Video Transcripts: English, 中文, 中文
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More