Learn how and why conversational interfaces have developed and the ways in which this exciting new technology is evolving.
How do you know if you’re talking to a human or a machine?
From corporate chatbots to our everyday interactions with Alexa and Siri, conversational interfaces (where a computer can reply to instructions using natural language) have become increasingly commonplace – and hard to spot.
On this course, you’ll get an introduction to conversational and voice-based interfaces, discovering how they developed and what people working in this field think about them.
You’ll explore how they can be designed and developed effectively and responsibly, and learn about the skills and design thinking you need to develop a successful conversational interface.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - What are the conversational interfaces?
- Welcome to the course
- Types of conversational interface
- What does it take to make a conversational interface?
- Approaches for good conversational interface design
- End of Week 1
Week 2 - Meet the makers and explore considerations and challenges
- Welcome back
- Building trust in conversational interfaces
- What's next for conversational interfaces?
- Wrapping up
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Describe what conversational interfaces are and how the technology works at a basic level.
- Compare different types of conversational interfaces and identify good use cases for the technology.
- Identify the skills required to create a good conversational interface.
- Summarise the main developments and history of conversational interfaces.
- Explain the benefits of using a conversational interface.
- Discuss the ethical considerations of designing conversational interfaces.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in new technology, with a focus on exploring conversational and voice-based interfaces and how audiences engage with them, whether you’re a student or looking for a career in computer programming.
What software or tools do you need?
To take part in this course you’ll need a device such as a laptop or a tablet with access to the internet.
Who will you learn with?
Mick Grierson is Professor of Creative Computing at UAL Creative Computing Institute.
Who developed the course?
UAL Creative Computing Institute
The UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI) offers innovative new courses, research opportunities and a public platform to explore computer science and creative practice.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
UAL Creative Computing Institute is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.