Learn how to improve healthcare for people with intellectual disabilities with this course for healthcare professionals.
Learn how to support people with intellectual disability in health assessments
Detecting poor health and supporting people with an intellectual disability in managing their health can be challenging for healthcare professionals.
During this course, you will gain valuable knowledge that you can transfer into your daily practice on how to include people with an intellectual disability in health assessments.
You will expand your knowledge through information and techniques underpinned by the world-leading longitudinal study on ageing and intellectual disability, the IDS-TILDA study.
What topics will you cover?
In this course, you will:
- Explore the inequalities that individuals with an intellectual disability experience that often obstruct their engagement in health assessment.
- Identify the changing landscape of healthcare for older people with an intellectual disability.
- Learn how to communicate better with people with an intellectual disability in health assessments.
- Make reasonable adjustments to appointment scheduling, duration, and in explaining assessments.
- Learn best practices in accessible materials for health assessments.
The course is structured into three weeks:
- Week 1: Health and wellbeing challenges for people with an intellectual disability.
- Week 2: Best practices in communicating with people with an intellectual disability in health assessment.
- Week 3: Performing a health assessment for people with an intellectual disability.
Who is this accredited by?
Earn 6 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland on completion of this course and purchase of the certificate.
Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland: This course is accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland, the independent, statutory organisation which regulates the nursing and midwifery professions in Ireland.
The CPD Certification Service: This course has been accredited by the CPD Certification Service, which means it can be used to provide evidence of your continuing professional development.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Describe the similarities and differences in health that applies to people with an intellectual disability in comparison to their non-disabled peers.
- Identify the relevance and importance of health assessment for people with an intellectual disability.
- Explain what making reasonable adjustment means for people with an intellectual disability as they engage in health services.
- Reflect on the importance of making reasonable adjustments and understand how this is applicable to healthcare practice.
- Explore how to adapt explanatory materials for the person with an intellectual disability.
- Develop skills and techniques on adapting health assessments and engaging individuals with an intellectual disability using accessible material.
- Design your own Easy Read documents for health assessments.
Who is the course for?
This course is for healthcare professionals, healthcare workers, and care supporters working with people with an intellectual disability. You do not need any prior experience as the course is designed to be usable by all levels of healthcare professionals.
Who will you learn with?
Ussher Assistant Professor in Ageing and Intellectual Disability, Trinity College Dublin. My research interests include physical health, assessment, & accessible health promotion for people with ID.
Who developed the course?
Trinity College Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is Ireland’s highest-ranked university. It promotes a diverse, interdisciplinary environment to nurture ground-breaking research, innovation, and creativity.
EIT Health promotes healthy living, active ageing and improvements in healthcare.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.