Develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge required to thrive in diverse workplaces.
Develop your intercultural competence and meet global challenges
According to the Intelligence Unit at The Economist, 90% of executives in 68 countries say cross-cultural management is their biggest challenge.
Good intercultural communication and an understanding of cultural differences are now critical for professionals, especially those part of global networks.
On this course not only will you develop the skills and acquire the knowledge needed to meet the global challenges today’s world presents, but you will also learn to succeed in a diverse workplace and appreciate the value of cultural differences.
What topics will you cover?
- Basics of intercultural competency
- Importance of intercultural competency
- Openness and cultural diversity
- Curiosity and intercultural relationships
- Self-awareness and behaviour with cultural differences
- Worldview frameworks and different cultural backgrounds
- Cultural differences in non-verbal communication
- The skill of non-verbal communication
- The skill of verbal communication between diverse cultures
- Intercultural empathy and outrospection
- The skill of intercultural empathy
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 9 November 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Interact with people who are culturally diverse (openness).
- Describe your own cultural rules and biases (self-awareness).
- Discuss differences in forms of communication (verbal and non-verbal communication).
- Ask questions of other cultures (curiosity).
- Differentiate complex worldview frameworks (cultural worldview frameworks).
- Recognize the feelings of diverse cultural groups (empathy).
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to improve their intercultural competence - you might be a student preparing for the world of work, or an HR worker or corporate trainer, or you could be professional working marketing. You don’t need any prior experience.
What software or tools do you need?
Who will you learn with?
Charles A. Calahan
I teach at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA and facilitate the intercultural development of faculty, staff and students. I am a member of the Purdue University Teaching Academy.
Who developed the course?
One of the four best public universities in the US, Purdue delivers an engaging learning experience and a world-class degree.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.