This free three-week course provides the tools you need to succeed at interviews and land your dream job or course place.
Why join the course?
Being offered an interview is exciting but can be quite daunting. On this course, our experts from The Careers Service here at The University of Sheffield will make sure you are prepared for the big day.
If you’re still at the stage of writing your CV and submitting applications for a job or course, join our course How to Succeed at Writing Applications.
What topics will you cover?
Preparing for interviews
- Dealing with nerves
- The practical details
- Making your research count
- Anticipating key questions
Dealing with interviews
- Creating a positive first impression
- What to wear
- Using your voice
- Getting to grips with interview questions
- Brilliant questions to ask the interviewer
Handling different types of interview
- Successful telephone and video interviews
- Giving presentations
- Tests and exercises
- Leaving a positive impression
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 26 October 2020
- 30 November 2020
- 4 January 2021
- 8 February 2021
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Improve your chances of success in getting a job or securing a place on a university course.
- Apply best practice techniques to enable you to tackle interviews for jobs, apprenticeships, placements and university courses more effectively.
- Identify what recruiters are looking for by researching an organisation or institution thoroughly, and identifying what skills and attributes recruiters might be looking for.
- Identify what questions you may be asked at interview, and how to approach answering different types of interview questions.
- Develop a better understanding of your strengths, skills and key selling points to tackle interviews with confidence.
- Develop an understanding of different types of interviews, from telephone and video interviews to non-standard interviews, and how to tackle them.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone applying for jobs or courses. It will be of particular interest to those in the early stages of their career, or those who are out of practice and need to update their skills. No prior knowledge or expertise is needed.
Who will you learn with?
Manages the Information Team, responsible for developing the Careers Service website and creating interactive resources. Also responsible for providing an information service to our users.
I'm a Careers Adviser at the University of Sheffield Careers Service providing advice to help our service users become more confident when writing applications or approaching interviews.
Careers Adviser. Writes and edits careers guides for the University of Sheffield and is Careers Service Co-ordinator for the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Careers Adviser at the University of Sheffield Careers Service. Also a qualified Librarian and former Careers Information Officer.
Who developed this course?
The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is one of the world’s top 100 universities with a reputation for teaching and research excellence.
Join this course
$259.99 for one year
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.