Explore the benefits of online learning and discover how to successfully learn online.
Embrace the opportunities that online learning offers.
Since Covid-19, there has been an increased interest and in some cases, a necessity to move to learn online.
This course draws on the expertise of The Open University – a global leader in online learning. You will explore online learning and the wide-ranging benefits it brings to learners.
You’ll discover the skills required for online study and evaluate your own study skillset. You’ll also examine how students form online communities and how they benefit from flexible study arrangements while still being supported by dedicated tutors.
Online learning takes advantage of technology to simulate or improve upon traditional methods of teaching. You’ll be introduced you to some of these teaching methods, including looking at two periods of European history, teaching chemistry through the online OpenScience Laboratory and using free apps to practise writing Chinese characters.
What topics will you cover?
- What activities you already carry out online.
- Explore how you already learn online informally.
- Getting started with online learning.
- Carry out a small research task where you consider the validity of internet sources.
- The technological innovations which will support your online learning how you can manage your own study and get support from tutors and other students.
- How you can plan for your long-term study and career goals.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explore and understand the key aspects of online learning.
- Identify and recognise the main differences between online and campus-based university learning.
- Assess how studying online can match personal interests and preferences, and help to develop skills – preparing you for future online study.
Who is the course for?
If you are considering, or new to online learning, this short course offers you the perfect starting point to prepare you for your online learning journey.
Who will you learn with?
I am a creative and innovative education practitioner who values learning and seeks opportunities to learn, develop and grow and support others.
Open University Course Developer. Instructional Design and Media Production at Chemistry Communications. Interested in open education, languages, data viz, design. Former Communications Lecturer.
Who developed the course?
The Open University
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.