Explore online teaching with this practical course for educators designed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Discover practical ways to teach and support your students online
As the coronavirus pandemic spreads, there has been an increasing move towards teaching online as schools and universities shut.
Even for experienced practitioners, this situation presents challenges. However, with the right knowledge, you can overcome the hurdles presented by teaching online and embrace its possibilities.
On this course, you’ll be given practical steps towards online teaching and student support. You can reflect on your own work, adapt your approaches, and share your stories with a global community of educators who’ll help you to get started and keep going in uncertain times.
Week 1 - Start teaching online
- Welcome to the course
- Preparing your students for success
- Building an online learning activity
- Weekly wrap-up
Week 2 - Maintaining student interest and engagement
- Welcome to Week 2
- Supporting your students' learning
- Approaches and techniques to engage and interact online
- Weekly wrap-up
Week 3 - From a response course to a community resource
- Welcome to Week 3
- Assessment and feedback
- Reflection and evaluation
- The peer feedback and your weekly reflection
- Wrapping up the week and guiding the next steps
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Develop plans to set your students up for success.
- Discuss the benefits and challenges of moving classes from face-to-face to online.
- Adapt your practice to the online context.
- Discuss how to manage the personal impact of teaching online.
- Create and share approaches and techniques for maintaining continuity while moving to teaching and learning online.
- Identify techniques and approaches for engaging your students online.
- Collect, review and evaluate student feedback on your new approaches.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for educators, teachers, lecturers, and trainers who have to rapidly move from face-to-face to online teaching in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who will you learn with?
Head of Learning @ FutureLearn. We work with our colleagues and global educators to help ensure every learner has a meaningful experience. I am also a learner on many FutureLearn courses.
I'm a Learning Designer at FutureLearn, and I love empowering people to build relevant, useful and engaging online learning experiences.
I'm a former English language teacher, now a Learning Designer for FutureLearn. I'm also completing a PhD looking at online learning in the global South.
Learning Designer at FutureLearn. Interested in the stories we tell, how we tell them, and why. Pronouns they/them/their.
Who developed the course?
The social learning platform with hundreds of online courses from a quarter of the world’s top universities.
FutureLearn are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.