By law, every workplace has Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) responsibilities, generating a demand for health and safety officers with the recognized training and certification to implement and manage these OHS systems.
Academy of York offers 3 fundamental health and safety management certification courses, that will enable you to tap into the demand for occupational health and safety officers in the workplace across all industries and economic sectors.
Completing our occupational health and safety management certification courses will give you a SAIOSH-accredited qualification in Health & Safety Management.
Saiosh is the SAQA accredited Professional Body for Occupational Health & Safety and the leading choice for OHS professionals and practitioners in the Occupational Health and Safety profession in Southern Africa.
Health and Safety Coordinator
Involves the administration and implementation of health and safety processes within the workplace.
This program is designed for a person who currently is or wants to be involved in the administration and implementation of health and safety processes within the workplace. Following successful completion of this course, this individual will be able to make recommendations on pertinent health and safety issues which may impact an organizations health and safety procedures.
The course covers the following Health and Safety Unit Standards:
- Conduct an investigation into workplace incidents.
- Explain emergency preparedness and response procedures.
- Maintain and adapt oral/signed communication.
- Monitor, report and make recommendations on the requirements applicable to permit to work systems in a working environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the implementation of occupational health, safety and environmental legislation in the workplace.
- Accommodate audience and context needs in oral/signed communication.
Health and Safety Representative
For people who are or want to be appointed as Health and Safety Representatives within the workplace.
This program is for people who are or want to be appointed as Health and Safety Representatives within the workplace.
Successful completion of this course will enable the learners to do the following:
- Demonstrate understanding and apply current health and safety legislation.
- Conduct risk assessments within the working environment.
- Prepare and conduct safety audits/inspections.
- Ensure that staff adheres to the health and safety procedures of the workplace.
- Demonstrate understanding and apply the functions of health and safety representatives.
During this course, the student will cover the following Unit Standards:
- Monitor, report and advise on the application of safety and health principles regarding the movement of people and materials in and around a working place.
- Conduct a continuous risk assessment in a workplace.
- Conduct, report and follow up on a pre-use, safety and/or audit inspection.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of relevant current occupational health and safety legislation.
- Participate in the implementation and evaluation of a safety and health management program in the workplace.
- Describe the functions of the workplace health and safety representative.
SAIOSH Accredited Short Course
Occupational Health and Safety Practitioner Course This is an NQF L5 aligned course is suited for those already working in the OHS environment wanting to get a Professional Designation, or those who want to get into this exciting world.
On successful completion of this occupational health and safety course, and with proof of 2 years working experience in this field, students can apply for the Professional Designation of TechSaiosh (Technical Member) with Saiosh, the SAQA accredited Professional Body for Occupational Health & Safety.
With more than 6 500 Members Saiosh is the leading source of information and networking opportunities within the Occupational Health and Safety profession. Saiosh is the choice for OHS professionals and practitioners in Southern Africa, dedicated to the advancement of the OHS profession, through research, promotion, education, social development, training, guidance and strong relationships with other OHS organizations.