The University of Newcastle has developed postgraduate qualifications in aviation management in response to an identified aviation industry need. Offered online, the Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management combines study of aviation human factors and management, and can be adapted to accommodate your specific areas of interest.
The program is designed to develop your knowledge, skill and ability to adapt to the changing management practices within the aviation industry. Applicants are encouraged from all areas of the industry, especially if you currently work in flight crew, cabin crew, maintenance crew, ground crew, administration, military and government authorities.
The competitive international aviation industry requires highly qualified aviation managers. The Graduate Certificate of Aviation Management will provide you with industry-relevant skills and knowledge that can open up further management career opportunities within the aeronautical industry, whether that be to transition between specialties or moving between commercial aviation organisations.
Our advanced online learning system provides you with the flexibility and support to study anytime, anywhere to balance work, life and study. You can achieve your Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management at a time that suits you.
Is it for you?
Are you already working in the aviation industry and are interested in enhancing your management skills to step into more challenging positions? The Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management combines courses from the Master of Business Administration (MBA) with specialised aviation courses. This combination allows you to broaden your aviation knowledge while achieving a postgraduate qualification.
Applicants from all areas of the industry are catered for, especially if you currently work in flight crew, cabin crew or maintenance crew, administration, military and government authorities.
On completion of the Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management you will walk away with expanded knowledge and skills to enhance your career to potentially transition between specialities or to shift from one commercial aviation organisation to another.
With your Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management you will have acquired complimentary skills in business management and aviation to enhance and diversify your career opportunities in the aviation industry.
The Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management at the University of Newcastle is an industry relevant program, designed to further your career in the aviation industry.
As a graduate you can take your newly acquired skills and knowledge to transition from aviation operations or engineering into more senior roles; transfer your management experience to the aviation sector or redirect your existing degree into operational or senior positions.
Further to this, you'll find this qualification eases the transition between specialties, for example in moving from the military to government or consultation activities, or moving between commercial aviation organisations.
The aviation industry requires trained aviation professionals with exceptional management and leadership skills. The University of Newcastle’s Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management combines aviation studies with management courses, delivered via our flexible online learning platform. The combination of management and aviation studies will assist you to think critically and analyse effectively when faced with the demands of contemporary aviation management.
You will be required to study human factors in aviation systems where you will obtain an advanced understanding of:
- basic human factors principles
- effects of stress and fatigue
- implications of automation for human performance
- implications for aviation management
You will also study crew resource management where you will:
- be provided with the theoretical knowledge base to facilitate design and evaluation of crew resource management programs
- explore the scientific research in key concept areas, including communication, leadership, decision making and group situational awareness
- discover issues in crew resource management program development, implementation, evaluation and regulation.
Further to this you will study two other courses selected from lists of prescribed courses. To advance your learning to another level, you may want to consider proceeding to the Master of Aviation Management where full credit will be provided for your completed courses.
Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management (Program Code 12377) will be based on student’s academic qualifications and or relevant experience in the aeronautical industry, as follows:
- Students will have an AQF Level 4 Certificate IV in an Aviation discipline, and/or hold a Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL), and also have a minimum of eight (8) years demonstrable RPL in the aeronautical industry, or;
- Students will have an AQF Level 5 Diploma in an Aviation discipline and also have a minimum of seven (7) years demonstrable RPL in the aeronautical industry, or;
- Students will have an AQF Level 6 Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in an Aviation discipline, and/or hold an Air Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL), and also have a minimum of six (6) years demonstrable RPL in the aeronautical industry, or;
- Students will have an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree in a discipline different to Aviation and also have a minimum of one (1) year demonstrable RPL in the aeronautical industry, or;
- Students will have an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree in an Aviation discipline.
All students will study the 40 unit program which can be completed in 0.5 years full time or 1 year part time study.
Students must apply to the Program Convenor for recognition of relevant RPL. RPL applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Minimum English Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants who do not speak English as a first language must demonstrate that they meet the University's English proficiency requirement. Further information regarding English language proficiency requirements can be found at the English Language Proficiency for Admission Policy at http://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/governance-and-leadership/policy-library/document?RecordNumber=D15/15438
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 14, 2017