Have you ever had a digital problem that you didn't know how to solve? Get acquainted with the principle of human-centred design.
This course is part of the Solving Problems with Technology program, which will enable you to learn how to use technology to find effective resolutions to digital problems.
Find effective resolutions to digital problems using design thinking
Human-centred design is a creative approach to problem-solving. It focuses on understanding the needs of the people who have a problem in order to design appropriate solutions.
On this course, you’ll learn about the five-stage process and have the opportunity to take part in practical activities to try each stage of the process.
You’ll learn why this method of thinking is effective, how to use it, and which jobs use the process.
You’ll also become familiar with how to collect the right information and data to prove a solution can work in the real world.
What topics will you cover?
- Gain a practical insight into the human-centred design (an iterative design process in which designers focus on the users and their needs in each phase of the design process).
- Explore the use of design thinking methods.
- Hear from others about how they use human-centred design.
- Experiment with design thinking through a series of simple activities.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 28 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify the kinds of problem that can be solved with human-centred design.
- Summarise the activities needed to run a successful human-centred design project.
- Develop a human-centred design mindset to approach a problem.
- Apply the Design Thinking process to a real-world problem.
- Investigate how making and testing rough prototypes help improvement.
- Collect information and data that help prove a solution will work in the real world.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people who have digital skills but would like to build confidence in using digital technology in the workplace.
This may include those studying for A-levels, those who have a degree, or those who want to improve their career prospects.
The course will also be useful for anyone in employment who wants to boost their digital skills or anyone returning to the workplace who’d like to gain confidence in how working practices has evolved.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Digital Skills for the Workplace collection from the University of Leeds and the Institute of Coding.
Who will you learn with?
I'm a creative digital producer and product manager and helped establish the National Film and Television School’s first digital producing course. I have a secret double life as an artist.
Who developed this course?
University of Leeds
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
The University of Leeds is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.