Explore the fashion industry’s impact on people and planet, what the Sustainable Development Goals are, and how they are linked.
Learn about the link between fashion and the Sustainable Development Goals
The global fashion industry has an enormous social impact and ecological footprint. Many of us don’t understand how the clothes we wear every day affects the world around us.
On this course, you will learn how clothes are made, how fashion supply chains work and the importance of responsible production and consumption. You’ll also look at how the fashion industry can have a more positive impact on people and the planet.
Upon completing this course, you’ll be empowered with new knowledge and ideas to contribute towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals through your own wardrobe.
What topics will you cover?
- How the fashion industry works, how we interact with it and the impacts it has on people and planet.
- The Sustainable Development Goals and how they relate to the clothes we wear.
- Fair Trade/Ethical trade and why it is essential to international development and human rights.
- Global fashion supply chains, how they work and how they can have a more positive impact on people and planet.
- Gender equality, women’s empowerment and how it links to the clothes we wear.
- Decent work and economic growth, what this means in the global fashion industry and what we can do to support good working conditions.
- The environmental impacts of the clothes we wear and how we can support better conservation and protection of the planet and its natural resources.
Who is this accredited by?
The CPD Certification Service: This course has been accredited by the CPD Certification Service, which means it can be used to provide evidence of your continuing professional development.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explore your values and identify the principles that matter the most to you.
- Develop an understanding of global garment supply chains and the impacts they can have on people and the planet.
- Debate how the fashion industry interlinks with the Sustainable Development Goals and how we can all help achieve them.
- Collaborate to build strategies for change.
- Engage brands to improve their supply chains and share more information on their commitments, goals and progress around their human rights and environmental impacts.
- Contribute to meaningful dialogue and better fashion industry for all.
- Assess brand's sustainability disclosure to better understand their efforts to improve their human rights and environmental impacts.
- Develop an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and how they relate to the clothes you wear.
- Debate approaches to change.
- Engage your local MPs to request they fight for policies that matter to you.
- Engage your colleagues, friends, family and peers to drive forward a fashion industry that supports people, planet, profits and creativity in equal measure.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone wanting to learn more about the fashion industry, fair trade, international development, and the Sustainable Development Goals. This includes fashion professionals or students and activists interested in environmental protection and sustainable consumption.
The course will be actively facilitated on:
- 13 July – 9 August
- 21 September – 18 October
- 30 November – 27 December
- 8 February 2021 – 7 March 2021
Who will you learn with?
I am the Policy Director at the Fashion Revolution, the world's largest fashion activism movement. We are campaigning for greater transparency and sustainability in the fashion industry.
I am the Policy & Research Manager at Fashion Revolution, the world's largest fashion activism movement. We are campaigning for greater transparency and sustainability in the fashion industry.
I am a Policy and Research Coordinator at the Fashion Revolution, the world's largest fashion activism movement. We are campaigning for greater transparency and sustainability in the fashion industry.
Who developed the course?
Fashion Revolution is a global movement campaigning for systemic reform of the fashion industry with a focus on the need for greater transparency and sustainability.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.