Introduction to the Board
3-Day accelerated programme
This course is an intensive introduction to the role of the Board and testing and development of the skills of effectiveness. It is useful for both existing and new directors and non-executive directors.
Topics considered include:
The Board And Director’s Role In Strategic Decision Making
- Approaches to decision making: techniques and tools for use.
- Creating a climate/culture which promotes and encourages open debate and discussion.
- Inﬂuences and considerations in decision making.
- Potential impact on all stakeholders.
- Corporate responsibility.
- Ethical considerations.
- The appropriate evaluation and management of risks associated with decisions.
- Identification of conﬂicts of interest.
- The board’s dynamics and politics; power, inﬂuence and conﬂict on the board.
- Types of decisions: ongoing day to day, crisis.
- Impacts of decisions: allocation of responsibility for implementation; communications with stakeholders.
The Board’s And Director’s Roles In Handling Crises
- Processes and procedures are in place in readiness for crisis situations, which ensure business continuity.
- Board processes and practices are in place which maximises the possibility of potential crisis situations being identified and reputation/other risks being controlled.
- Processes ensure clarity of responsibilities in crisis situations.
- Typical ‘crisis situations’, e.g. health and safety, IT infrastructure, security.
- Appropriate stakeholders are consulted, involved and communicated within responding to crisis situations, e.g. special advisors, staﬀ, customers, suppliers, media, investors.
Reviewing The Effectiveness Of The Board’s And Directors’ Performance
- Awareness of individual attributes of a director.
- Techniques and approaches for evaluating the eﬀectiveness of the board and individual director (including the contribution of non-executive directors and board committees).
- Communicating effectively with the board and providing feedback to enhance individual and board eﬀectiveness/performance.
About the School
For more than thirty years, Management Development Centre International (MDCI) has been redefining the way executive education is delivered in the Middle East and Africa. Now, our focus on enabling tr ... Read More