Find out how to harness the power of data to help you make better business decisions.
This course is part of the Solving Problems with Technology program, which will enable you to learn how to use technology to find effective resolutions to digital problems.
Discover how data can be used to solve problems and make decisions
As the digital world plays an increasingly large role in our daily lives, so too does the use of data.
On this course, you’ll be introduced to key data concepts as you learn how to solve simple, everyday problems using data.
You’ll discover data ethics and the restrictions that exist in using other people’s data. You’ll also learn how to present data in a meaningful way that’s easy to understand through data visualisation techniques.
To give real-world context to your learning, you’ll examine these data concepts through the case study of a small business owner.
What topics will you cover?
- Explore the notion of data and what that actually means.
- Learn the key terminology related to dealing with data.
- Explore how data can be used to solve problems.
- Explore individual sets of data that can be brought together to form datasets, which can then be used for greater insights.
- Explore the ethics and rules of using other people’s data.
- Learn how to turn data into something visual and easy to understand.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 28 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Describe the difference between data, metadata and knowledge.
- Summarise how data is used to solve problems.
- Interpret trends and analyse patterns from a dataset.
- Debate the ethical considerations of data collection.
- Produce a plan to solve a problem with evidence and data.
- Apply a simple visualisation technique to make data easier to understand and work with.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people who have digital skills but would like to build confidence in using digital technology in the workplace.
This may include those studying for A-levels, those who have a degree, or those who want to improve their career prospects.
The course will also be useful for anyone in employment who wants to boost their digital skills or anyone returning to the workplace who’d like to gain confidence in how working practices has evolved.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Digital Skills for the Workplace collection from the University of Leeds and the Institute of Coding.
Who will you learn with?
I'm a creative digital producer and product manager and helped establish the National Film and Television School’s first digital producing course. I have a secret double life as an artist.
Who developed this course?
University of Leeds
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
The University of Leeds is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.