Improve your knowledge of entrepreneurship and discover how to plan, develop, nurture, and build a successful business.
Learn key business skills, from pitching your idea to writing a vision statement
On this course, you’ll enhance your understanding of business and improve your skills in entrepreneurship for university study and work.
You’ll develop yourself as an entrepreneur by learning how to approach key stages of entrepreneurship, from coming up with a business idea to writing a business plan.
Using case studies of local businesses and entrepreneurship in the MENA region, you’ll learn how to apply business concepts and ideas to different contexts.
You’ll also practice pitching your business ideas and learn about developing your enterprise within an entrepreneurship ecosystem.
What topics will you cover?
- How to understand yourself as an entrepreneur, and create a self-development plan.
- Sources of business ideas and inspiration.
- The business idea and how to develop it, including the business model canvas; the minimum viable product; the value of having a mentor; resource requirements; raising finance.
- Pitching skills and tips; communication and language skills.
- The Entrepreneurial Ecosystem, including leadership and management; using feedback for development; family business models; working in a team; customer service; networking’ marketing basics.
- Putting plans into action: the action plan, thinking long term about your enterprise and using resources for continuous development.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 7 December 2020
- 1 February 2021
- 3 May 2021
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explain the different characteristics of an entrepreneur.
- Describe how you have come to know yourself better, and the role that you and your enterprise can play in wider society.
- Develop ideas from many different sources of inspiration and decide on a suitable idea to take forward to develop for this course.
- Improve an entrepreneurial idea to express more detail, including your business structure, target customer, and resource requirements.
- Summarise your own vision and mission statement for your enterprise.
- Identify how you might raise finance to develop your enterprise and develop your pitching skills to acquire finance and/or sales.
- Explore your own action plan for the future, thinking about the importance of short term and longer future planning. Test your idea as a minimum viable product.
- Produce your own self-development plan. Recognise, appreciate, and apply many different forms of feedback and resources in your entrepreneurial journey.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for refugees, displaced people and the communities supporting them in the MENA (Middle East and Northern Africa) region who wish to study entrepreneurship or business-related course at a university in English.
It has been created as part of the PADILEIA project, which aims to increase access to higher education and employment.
This course will also be of interest to anyone looking to start their own business and develop their knowledge of entrepreneurship.
It will be helpful for those looking to improve their English language vocabulary and communication skills in a business setting.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR B1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) to get the most from this course.
Who will you learn with?
Sabrina's main interests are business innovation, entrepreneurship, and creativity. She holds an MSc in this area and is nearing completion of her PhD.
Who developed the course?
King's College London
King’s College London, established in 1829 and a founding college of the University of London, is one of the world’s leading research and teaching universities, based in the very heart of London.
King's College London is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.