Are you planning to enroll in one of VIU’s academic programs, but don’t feel as though you are well-equipped with academic English? Or are you currently in an academic program and would like to be better at giving presentations or writing research papers? Even if you just want to take an English class to expand your vocabulary and increase fluency, VIU’s English as a Second Language (ESL) Online Program offers classes that fit your needs.
English is the dominant language in the fields of communication, science, business, and entertainment. Therefore, being proficient in English opens many doors in the international job market.
VIU’s ESL online courses are highly interactive and designed to help students be academically successful. The ESL Online Program offers a seven-week format taught by faculty who are expert English language instructors and experienced in teaching a diverse population of students. While taking ESL online courses, students will develop skills necessary to become confident writers, fluent speakers, effective listeners, and strong readers.
With VIU ESL Online, study academic English from anywhere anytime!
Upon successful completion of ESL online courses, students will have developed:
- Listening skills and confidence to be able to give presentations using correct grammar, clear pronunciation and strong organizational skills;
- Strategies for note-taking, time-management, test-taking, and group work;
- Skills for skimming and scanning various texts for information;
- Revision and editing skills for written assignments; and
- Research and citation skills using the American Psychological Association (APA) format
After successfully completing ESL courses and strengthening your academic English, you will have the option to continue your studies in one of VIU’s academic programs.
ESL Online Courses
- High Advanced Speaking & Listening
- High Advanced Reading & Writing