A short course looking at the history, sociology and politics of football, including focuses on the World Cup and Leicester City.
Examine the roots of football and its rise to modern prominence.
This course will explore the history and culture of football, with a focus on the World Cup and on Leicester City Football Club.
We’ll explore the origins of football, from early clubs to professional leagues and European competition; the role of media and formation of the Premier League; the World Cup from origins to Russia 2018; and how LCFC became unlikely Premier League Champions.
The University of Leicester and De Montfort University have joined Leicester City Football Club to give a unique insight into the history and sociology of the sport, and the inside story of a premier league club.
What topics will you cover?
- A history of football from early leagues and formats, through to the present day.
- The influence of the media, and European football, on the English game.
- The social impact of football: on fans and communities, through disaster and euphoria.
- A history of the World Cup, from origins to Russia 2018.
- A case study of one Premier League club, looking in detail at their folk history and modern success.
- A detailed look at Leicester City Football Club’s remarkable ‘great escape’ and title-winning season 2015-16.
- An examination of the present state of football, and how it might change in the future.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Summarise key points in the history of football, from its roots to the Premier League.
- Evaluate the role football plays in society, from fans to local and international communities.
- Debate economic influences and motivations in modern football.
- Discuss the current state of football and its role in society.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in football and its background, its place in world culture and media, in the Football World Cup, and in LCFC and its effect on the city of Leicester and in the wider world.
What software or tools do you need?
Just an interest in the beautiful game.
Who will you learn with?
I am a senior research fellow who works in the International Centre for Sports History and Culture, De Montfort University, Leicester. My expertise is in the history of the sport, especially football.
I am a Sociologist who has been researching and writing about sport - especially football - for over 30 years. I now live in Leicester but my home city - and my club - is Liverpool.
Who developed the course?
University of Leicester
The University of Leicester is a leading research-led university with a strong tradition of excellence in teaching. It is consistently ranked amongst the top 20 universities in the United Kingdom.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University (DMU) is a dynamic institution with a long and vibrant history of improving people’s lives through education.
Leicester City Football Club
Formed as Leicester Fosse in 1884, Leicester City Football Club’s steady rise culminated in the most extraordinary of Premier League title triumphs in 2016.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.