Pre-requisites: The diploma requires an undergraduate knowledge of statistics, (descriptive statistics, regression, sampling distributions, hypothesis testing, interval estimation, etc.) linear algebra, and probability. You would be required to possess a knowledge of programming concepts like variables, loops, functions, OOP, etc.
Some hands-on knowledge with Python Language and Jupyter Notebook IDE will be necessary. All assignments/application projects will be done in Jupyter Notebooks using the Python programming language. Emeritus offers a complimentary Python for Data Analytics certificate course to meet this prerequisite. Participants who successfully complete this certificate course will receive a certificate of completion from the Emeritus Institute of Management.
Why Enroll in the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Data Science?
Managing a business or organization in today’s world is more science than art. At the core of that science is data, and the ability to unleash its power and extract value from it is critical to any company’s success. Data science and machine learning have transformed entire industries and continue to do so. The data revolution has led to a spike in the demand for data scientists and machine learning practitioners that show no signs of slowing down.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Data Science is designed to help participants master data science, from the critical foundations of statistics and probability to working hands-on with machine learning models using Python, the world's most popular programming language. Analytical models are more powerful when they are built with the right statistics, and this comprehensive diploma can help you learn the key statistics and probability concepts to build effective models, enhance your data interpretation skills and make well-informed decisions.
What You Will Learn
- Use common Python packages to import data and conduct statistical analysis.
- Apply data distributions and sampling techniques to create data samples and depict multiple forms.
- Use advanced Python libraries (e.g., NumPy, Pandas) to assess discrete data sets and visualize data for usability.
- Form connections and inform decision-making via decision trees, random forests, and ensemble methods.
Your Learning Journey
- Video Lectures
- Application Projects
- Capstone Project
- Office Hours
Course 1: Tools and Data Management
- Python Basics - How to Translate Procedures into Code
- Intermediate Python - Data Structures for Analysis
- Relational Databases - Where Big Data Is Typically Stored
- SQL - Ubiquitous Database Format/Language
- Data Extraction - Getting Data from the Internet - Part 1
- Data Extraction - Getting Data from the Internet - Part 2
Course 2: Statistics and Exploratory Data Analysis
- Statistical Distributions - The Shape of Data
- Sampling - When You Can't or Won't Have ALL the Data
- Hypothesis Testing - Answering Questions About Your Data
- Data Analysis and Visualization - using Python's NumPy for analysis
- Data analysis and visualization - using Python's Pandas for Data Wrangling
Course 3: Fundamentals of Machine Learning
- Machine Learning - Basic Regression and Classification
- Linear Regression
- Logistic Regression
- Machine Learning - Decision Trees and Clustering
- Ensemble Methods
- Naïve Bayes Classifiers
- Neural Networks
- K-means Clustering
- Dimensionality Reduction
- Text Mining - Automatic Understanding of Text
- Time Series Analysis
Acting in the role of consultant, test the efficacy of an office supply company’s telemarketing campaigns for a select audience and help them leverage the test results to their advantage.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of the diploma, participants will receive a verified digital diploma from the Emeritus Institute of Management.
EMERITUS Network Benefits
On successful completion of this diploma, join a community of over 7400 learners on the Emeritus Network. The Emeritus Network is your platform to connect to a global network of individuals. Benefits of the Emeritus Network include:
- Tuition Assistance
- Global Network that includes over 400 CEOs, Presidents, Vice Presidents, Directors, Founders, and Managing Directors
- Invitation to Global Events
- Start-up Corner to help connect, collaborate, raise capital, invest or identify talent
- Extended Course Access and
- Access to Emeritus Groups
About the School
Our values define who we are, the people who we work with and the way we collaborate. They also encapsulate the behavior we seek in our students and alumni.