Get a taste of an electrical engineering degree. Build your confidence in communicating ideas and using technical vocabulary.
Improve your knowledge of key concepts in electrical engineering.
This online course provides an introduction to electronic, electrical and systems engineering.
You’ll examine everyday electrical circuits, such as pick-ups for musical instruments, and out of this world circuits, such as devices used in space.
You’ll develop skills in analysing and designing digital and analogue circuits and systems, and get familiar with using English technical vocabulary. You’ll understand how electric engineering systems are used in specific contexts, and gain confidence in communicating engineering ideas.
The Educators won’t be able to join the discussions in this course run or respond to individual comments, but the course encourages a strong learning community. Discussion is an important part of this course – supporting other learners, sharing your own experience and knowledge, and listening to new perspectives. We hope that you will enjoy interacting with and learning from each other in this way. Don’t forget to comment, reply to other learners and ‘like’ comments.
The course is provided in English with Mandarin transcripts.
What topics will you cover?
- Overview of Electrical, Electronic and Systems Engineering.
- Introduction to systems and systems terminology.
- Transducers and their purpose.
- Electronic systems in the context.
- Issues relating to solar power/batteries in space.
- Introduction to the Space Weather research group.
- Electrical circuits.
- The differences between analogue and digital Electrical Engineering.
- Introduction to digital electronics.
- Overview of control systems for rail platform shield walls
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Investigate what is meant by Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering.
- Develop your skills in analysing and designing circuits and systems.
- Improve your confidence in communicating Engineering ideas using English technical vocabulary.
- Assess how different Electronic and Electrical Engineering systems are used in specific contexts.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in the role and uses of Electrical Engineering. It may be particularly useful for students who are thinking about taking an electrical engineering degree in the UK, including those for whom English is a second language.
Who will you learn with?
I am a senior lecturer, teaching Electrical Engineering and Electrical Energy systems to first and second-year students and supervising final year student research projects.
Who developed the course?
University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham is a public research university, consistently listed as a leading UK university and ranked among the top 100 in the world.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.