General Overview Early Childhood Teacher Certificate
Maine has established a new requirement that teachers working in public school Pre-K classrooms must hold, or be working toward, Endorsement 081: Early Childhood Teacher. K-8 certified teachers can apply for the four required courses in this certificate in partial fulfillment of the State’s requirements for the 081 endorsements. Educational Objectives:
- Teachers will be prepared to work with young children and their families across a range of early childhood settings. Teachers may apply for courses from this Certificate to State’s Early Childhood Endorsement (081). The certificate supports teachers’ eligibility to teach in a variety of early childhood settings, including inclusive pre-kindergarten classrooms located in public schools.
- Teachers will learn about early child development – both in the classroom and through hands-on learning experiences – and use this knowledge to design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences for young children.
- Teachers will recognize that learning in early childhood environments lays a critical foundation for the young child’s later success in school, work, citizenship, and personal fulfillment.
- Teachers will understand that through play in a content-rich environment, children begin to make sense of the world around them, building the foundations they will need to become capable, enthusiastic learners and responsible, healthy adults.
(All work is based on the state MDOE and NAEYC standards.)
Program Requirements (12 credits)
The graduate certificate in Early Childhood Education includes the following courses (all offered online):
- CHF 450: Early Childhood Special Education 3cr. offered online in the spring
- HUD 521: Teaching Science for Young Children 3cr. offered online in the summer
- HUD 529: Teaching Numeracy for Young Children 3cr. offered online in the fall
- SEI 501: Typical and Atypical Development birth-5 3cr.
In addition to these courses, teachers must take (or have taken as part of their K-8 certification):
- Children’s literature
- Language and literacy in early childhood
- Child development or developmental psychology
- 6 additional credits in early childhood education including family studies, creative arts, observation of young children, assessment of young children, advanced child development
- Early learning environments
- Additional early literacy coursework
- Praxis 2 (test # 0021) must be passed with a score of 166 or better
When you are ready to apply, please first review these Application Instructions. Then, complete your online application here. Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree. Inquiries regarding application procedures should be directed to Becky Libby, by email email@example.com or by phone 207-581-2444.
What can I do with a Certificate in Early Childhood Teacher?
This certificate allows students to complete the requirements for state certification to teach early elementary grades, Pre-Kindergarten to grade 3, in public schools and/or to work at the preschool level.
12 credit hours
Cost & Fees
- $418/cr. in-state and
- $523/cr. out-of-state
Fall / Spring / Summer
About the School
UMaineOnline is continually developing new, fully online programs with a focus on graduate options in our signature and emerging areas of excellence. Choose from a variety of online programs delivered ... Read More