How to effectively draft and negotiate commercial contracts.
Why join the course?
Effective contract negotiation is a crucial part of any business and the ability to draft effective, readable, non-ambiguous contracts is a valuable skill for everyone. Some common examples of commercial contracts include employment, supplies, leases, licenses, franchises, sales, license, real estate and partnership agreements.
This is a practical course which focuses on developing the key knowledge and skill required by professionals when negotiating and drafting commercial contracts that involve parties, laws or businesses. It is important that professionals have sufficient knowledge and skills to achieve their desired outcome from a commercial contract negotiation.
This course is part of our Study with Australia collection, with free upgrades and digital certificates supported by the Australian Trade and Investment Commission until 31st July, 2020. Explore more courses from leading Australian education providers.
What topics will you cover?
- Identify the purpose of the contract and understand parties’ expectations.
- Identify and critically discuss the specific skills needed for drafting and negotiating commercial contracts.
- Explore ways in which to draft and negotiate contracts that are readable, enforceable and achieve clients’ objectives.
- Elucidate possible issues, challenges and pitfalls in drafting commercial contracts.
- Explore the legal rationale and practical knowledge underpinning contractual clauses.
- Discuss ways to close the deal (win-win outcome).
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of commercial law contracts.
- Apply these understanding to problem-solving and decision-making in practice.
- Apply these understandings to critically analyse and evaluate your own professional practice, toward accountability and improvement.
- Identify and explain the key legal principles governing the formation of contracts.
- Draft readable documents, such as contracts, that integrate correct structure, clear language and risk management.
- Demonstrate effective negotiation techniques in commercial contracts.
Who is the course for?
All professionals (non-lawyers) such as executives, managers or individuals who want to improve their drafting and negotiating skills when negotiating external contracts on behalf of themselves or their company.
Who will you learn with?
James is the Director of Programs for the College of Law Asia. He is admitted to practice in Australia (NSW) and New Zealand. His qualifications include BA, LLB, MA(Hons) and LLM(Hons).
Who developed the course?
College of Law
The College of Law has been at the forefront of practical legal education since 1974. More than 60,000 of our graduates work across all facets of the industry – and we’re one of the most trusted names in legal training in Australia and New Zealand.
The College of Law is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.