Doctor of Environmental Science at AIU
The Doctorate of Environmental Science (BS) program helps students develop practical skills and knowledge required to critically evaluate environmental problems and issues, and provide applied solutions. The major is decidedly interdisciplinary in nature, focusing on the underlying natural processes relating to the environment and understanding and employing the scientific method.
The Doctorate of Environmental Science (BS) program is offered online via distance learning. After evaluating both academic record and life experience, AIU staff working in conjunction with Faculty and Academic Advisors will assist students in setting up a custom-made program, designed on an individual basis. This flexibility to meet student needs is seldom found in other distance learning programs. Our online program does not require all students to take the same subjects/courses, use the same books, or learning materials. Instead, the online Doctorate of Environmental Science (BS) curriculum is designed individually by the student and academic advisor. It specifically addresses strengths and weaknesses with respect to market opportunities in the student’s major and intended field of work.
Understanding that industry and geographic factors should influence the content of the curriculum instead of a standardized one-fits-all design is the hallmark of AIU’s unique approach to adult education. This philosophy addresses the dynamic and constantly changing environment of working professionals by helping adult students in reaching their professional and personal goals within the scope of the degree program.
Important: Below is an example of the topics or areas you may develop and work on during your studies. By no means is it a complete or required list as AIU programs do not follow a standardized curriculum. It is meant solely as a reference point and example. Want to learn more about the curriculum design at AIU? (Course and Curriculum)
Core Courses and Topics in Environmental Science
- Earth Materials and the Environment
- Global Change
- Spatial Analysis and GIS
- Environmental Field Methods
- Natural Resource Management
- Earth System Processes
- Soils and Landscapes
- Introduction to Statistics & Probability
- Principles of Ecology
- Ecosystem Analysis
- River and Floodplain Ecology
- Workplace Preparation
- Communication & Investigation (Comprehensive Resume)
- Organization Theory (Portfolio)
- Experiential Learning (Autobiography)
- Seminar Administrative Development (Book Summary)
- Seminar Cultural Development (Practical Experience)
- Seminar International Development (Publications)
Research Project in Environmental Science
- Doctorate Thesis Project
- MBM300 Thesis Proposal
- MBM302 Doctorate Thesis (5,000 words)
- Publication: Each Doctorate of Environmental Science graduate is encouraged to publish their research papers either online in the public domain or through professional journals and periodicals worldwide.
Career Center Doctorate of Environmental Science
Environmental scientists work to regulate, control, and prevent air, land, and water pollution. They conduct research to find pollutants or hazards in our environment and then propose a plan to eliminate them, all the while maintaining a balance between the needs of the natural environment and the economic needs of workers and industries.
Skills for Success
- Written & Verbal Communication
- Problem Solving & Critical Thinking
- Technological skills
Employment Opportunities for Environmental Science
- Program Manager
- Program Coordinator
- Outreach Specialist
- Field Technician
- Environmental Inspector
- Conservation Associate
- Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS)
- Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA)
- Geneva Environment Network (GEN)
Resources and Tools
- The Environmental Sciences Division (ESD)
- Arctic Environmental Atlas
- Biofuels Information Exchange
- Department of Conservation
Contact Us Today!
We understand how busy adults do not have time to go back to school. Now, it's possible to earn your degree in the comfort of your own home and still have time for yourself and your family. The Admissions office is here to help you, for additional information or to see if you qualify for admissions please contact us. If you are ready to apply, please submit your Online Application and paste your resume and any additional comments/questions in the area provided.
Learn more about our accreditation “Click here!”
Watch and learn more about AIU today!
About the School
The combination of the underlying principles of student "self-instruction", (with guidance), collaborative development of curriculum unique to each student, and flexibility of time and place of study ... Read More