Doctor of Philosophy in Family and Consumer Science Education
Texas Tech University's online Doctor of Philosophy in Family and Consumer Sciences Education is offered by the Department of Family & Consumer Sciences Education in the College of Human Sciences. The Ph.D. degree program is designed to prepare individuals for faculty positions in higher education and other professional leadership roles. If you seek an academic career, Texas Tech's doctoral program provides you with the most advanced academic training, the most distinguished faculty, and the strongest professional foundation of any program in the country.
Earn a one-of-a-kind degree—the nation's only Ph.D. in Family and Consumer Sciences
Texas Tech University offers the nation's only Family and Consumer Sciences Ph.D. program.
We are committed to training the next generation of university faculty members in the family and consumer science. If you seek an academic career, Texas Tech's doctoral program provides you with the most advanced academic training, the most distinguished faculty, and the strongest professional foundation of any program in the country.
Our Family and Consumer Sciences Ph.D. program offers you the opportunity to:
- Receive guidance and mentoring from world-class scholars. Nationally renowned faculty lead our Ph.D. program. You will work with outstanding role models who have outstanding achievements in research, publishing, and educational innovation.
- Showcase your research ability. You will have access to top-notch libraries, labs, and consumer sciences facilities. Texas Tech doctoral students have a strong record of journal publishing and conference presentations.
- Receive teaching support and training. As a future faculty member, you will have significant teaching responsibilities. Texas Tech will help you learn practical teaching techniques that you will need to be an effective college educator.
- Become part of a broad professional network. Our faculty maintains relationships with researchers and educators across the country. In addition, our alumni hold leadership positions throughout Texas and the nation.
Become a Leader in Family and Consumer Sciences Research and Education
The demand for advanced educators in the family and consumer sciences continues to grow. You can help to meet this need by earning a doctoral degree from Texas Tech.
Our Ph.D. program in Family and Consumer Sciences will provide you with the training and qualifications you need for a faculty position. The degree can serve as the foundation for alternative career paths such as nonprofit leadership, educational research, public policy, and academic publishing.
Academic requirements for the family and consumer sciences Ph.D. program include:
- 60 credit hours of coursework and 12 hours of dissertation
60 hours include:
- 21-hour specialization in family and consumer sciences education
- 15-hour research component
- 18-hour emphasis designed to address professional goals
- 6-hours of electives
Admission is based on graduate and undergraduate records, GRE scores, and additional considerations.
- Students should complete the online application for graduate school. The application will require a $60 application fee, $50 for each subsequent application.
- Students should submit official transcripts from all Universities you attended as well as where you received your BS degree to the graduate school.
- Students should submit two recommendation letters.
- Submit both a resume and unofficial transcript.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 31, 2018