Diploma of Higher Education in Computing and IT
Technology dominates the way we live, work, socialise and play – and computing and IT skills are increasingly essential in today's workplace. This diploma gives you an excellent foundation for a wide variety of IT-related careers. Finance, government, business, commerce, public services and the voluntary sector are all critically dependent on computing and IT systems. Whether you want to gain confidence using and managing IT, grasp new opportunities or develop software solutions, there’s a study route for you.
Key features of the course
- A flexible diploma with a choice of routes through
- Choose options from computer science, digital technologies, software development, solutions development, or networking
- Enhances your employability
- Builds a solid foundation for further study.
Professionals working in the IT sector bring many different kinds of expertise to their work. The aim of this diploma is to equip you with the knowledge and skills you will need to underpin a career in this sector. As well as developing your knowledge and understanding of the fundamental technologies and techniques, and the issues involved in their application, it will also:
- prepare you to keep ahead in a rapidly changing subject area by helping you to develop as an independent learner
- develop relevant skills in communication, numeracy, and collaborative working
- enable you to apply your learning in your private, social and professional life.
And, depending on the pathway you choose through the diploma, you may gain:
- practical experience in the use of information and communication technologies
- an understanding of the types of software and ICT systems that are now being constructed and used, such as distributed internet systems, intelligent systems and databases, and the digital network that underlies the internet itself
- a grasp of the key concepts of computing and of modern computer systems
- skills in the main tasks that are carried out as software is built and maintained, such as analysis, design, programming and evaluation.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £10,528 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 4 years
- Full time – 2 years
- Time limit – 12 years
Finance, government, business, commerce, public services such as health and education, and the voluntary sector are all critically dependent on computing and IT systems. This diploma course is an ideal starting point for a career in any of these sectors, focusing on information technology, computing, communication technology and related fields, or to enhance your existing career.
Research by e-Skills UK has shown that IT and telecommunications now employs 1 in 20 of the UK workforce. It also suggests the digital sector will need nearly 300,000 new recruits by 2020 to meet the demand for skills in this area.
Growth areas and areas of high demand include cyber security, mobile development, cloud computing and the management of Big Data, in roles such as:
- systems management
- database administration
- software engineering
- systems analysis
- systems design.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in: