- Program Code: 1873
- School: School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts
- Credential: Ontario College Diploma
- Program Type: Post-secondary program
- Program Length: 2 years/ 4 semesters
- Start Date: Fall, Winter, Summer
- Location: Online
Centennial College's Baking and Pastry Arts Management program will build on fundamental baking and pastry arts skills to prepare you for a management role within the baking sector. Whether it's menu design, purchasing, planning, or execution, baking management is an essential skill to convert your passion into business success.
You'll graduate with important industry certifications such as Smart Serve, Safe Food Handlers, and CPR, making you job-ready.
Many graduates from this Baking and Pastry Arts program have secured employment within major hospitality brands in the hotel, resort, and restaurant industries as well as within large-scale commercial baking companies.
It’s Your Shift Training and Awareness Program
The program will include an innovative industry training and awareness certification, It’s Your Shift. The certification will equip you with crucial knowledge and provide current resources focused on sexual harassment prevention and safe practices for intervention as a frontline worker or manager. It will support you, as you enter the hospitality industry, to become a leader for the prevention of sexual harassment and contribute to the evolution of safe and welcoming work environments.
The Ocean Wise Program
The School of Hospitality, Tourism, and Culinary Arts and The Local Cafe and Restaurant use delicious and ocean-friendly Ocean Wise products. Ocean Wise is a conservation and education program that works with chefs, restaurants, and seafood suppliers to help them with sustainable seafood sourcing.
Feast On® Certification
Centennial College's School of Hospitality, Tourism, and Culinary Arts has become the first academic institution to receive Feast On® certification for its sourcing of local food and beverage products used in the academic programs and the School's experiential-learning foodservice operations. The Culinary Tourism Alliance established Feast On as a certification program that recognizes businesses committed to sourcing Ontario-grown and -produced food and drink.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
Important Semester Note:
Important Semester Note:
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes describe what graduates of the program have demonstrated they can do with the knowledge and skills they have achieved during their studies. The outcomes are closely tied to the needs of the workplace. Through assessment (e.g., assignments and tests), students verify their ability to reliably perform these outcomes before graduating.
- Research and design a variety of bakery, pastry, and confectionary related products that meet the needs of a range of food service environments
- Produce and present a variety of bakery, pastry, and confectionary related products that meet the needs of a range of food service environments.
- Apply fundamental nutritional principals, including recipe modifications to all aspects of baking production, with an awareness of potential allergens and dietary requirements.
- Apply effective kitchen management skills in order to responsibly use resources in a baking and pastry environment.
- Identify effective business practices, including marketing and cost control in the management of a pastry and baking operation.
- Identify human resource management practices as they relate to the hospitality industry.
- Develop on-going personal strategies and plans to enhance hospitality leadership in a baking and pastry environment.
Career Options, Academic Pathways, and Partners
Qualified Baking and Pastry Arts Management graduates may be eligible to participate in pathway programs with partnering institutions. These pathway programs allow you to receive degree credit for learning obtained at Centennial College.
Please note that each partnership has a specific minimum grade requirement in order to qualify to transfer credits, which are assessed by the partner institution.
- Algoma University, Ontario
- Davenport University, USA
- Laurentian University, Ontario
- SHMS Swiss Hotel Management School
- Vancouver Island University, British Columbia
- Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario
Please visit our website at www.centennialcollege.ca/admissions/applying/education-pathways/outbound-pathways for more information on articulation agreements.
- Pastry chef
- Bakery chef
- Food entrepreneurship
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or older)
- English Grade 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take the Centennial College English Skills Assessment for Admission
After successfully completing the one-year Baking – Pre-employment program, you may directly enter the third semester of this program and earn a diploma in one additional year.
- English language proficiency
About the School
Centennial College is Ontario’s first public college with five campuses in Toronto, Canada. Centennial offers high-quality Canadian Education that is hands-on and employment-focused. Programs at Cente ... Read More