Instruction in English only
When being a good listener isn’t enough…
Learn the skills and become a professional counsellor.
What our students have to say
- Join our global student community… study online, anywhere in the world.
- Train for a career as a mental health professional.
- Continuous enrollment. Accelerated programs. Earn your Diploma in just 1 year.
- Culturally diverse, evidence-based curriculum.
- Accredited, affordable, and approved for professional designation.
KCPC’s specially designed one-year Diploma of Applied Psychology and Counselling consists of 16 courses, each course 3 weeks in length. The accelerated curriculum provides practical knowledge and skill training, applicable to all types of counselling settings. Graduates are prepared for a wide range of career opportunities in private practice and mental health agencies.
Top 3 benefits of KCPC’s online courses
- Study from the comfort of home, and avoid travel expenses;
- Interactive assignments simulate counselling sessions with you in the role of the counsellor;
- Textbooks delivered right to your door along with access to over 200 demonstration videos featuring renowned authors and practitioners.
Preparing for a new Career
Selecting the right school is a major concern for you, and for us, too. We encourage applicants to research, and carefully weigh your options. Compare the quality of education being offered against the financial and time commitment required.
Students tell us that completing in-depth training in the shortest amount of time is a priority. For them, an accredited competency-based college program that requires less than half the time and money as a university degree make the most sense.
Here’s a sample of what you’ll learn… Diploma graduates have the skills to treat a variety of issues such as:
- depression and anxiety-related disorders
- addictions: prevention, recovery and follow-up treatment
- youth, family and couples conflicts
- suicide and emergency intervention
- loss and grief
- abuse and domestic violence
- career planning
- group and workshop facilitation
Getting started at a glance
- Admission Requirements: Adult Student Status of 19 years of age, and 1-year work experience for all Counselling Diploma and Certification programs.
Undergraduate degree required for Diploma program specializing Psychotherapy.
- Cost of tuition (includes texts and materials): Domestic students: 1-year Diploma program: $12,880 CAD. Additional 15% charge for international students.
- Start dates: Continuous enrollment, courses start every 3 weeks.
- Language: Must demonstrate fluency (written and verbal) in English.
- Transferability to university programs: KCPC’s faculty, curriculum, and textbooks are comparable to undergraduate and graduate University programs. Certain KCPC course credits are approved for transfer to the University of British Columbia; Trinity Western University; and other Universities at the discretion of their admissions departments.
The Diploma in Applied Psychology and Counselling
allows you to choose from two areas of specialization: professional counselling, or psychotherapy. click here for a complete list and descriptions of the courses.
What’s the difference between Counselling and Psychotherapy?
Counsellors are trained to address mild to moderate behaviour and emotional problems that impact a client’s personal or social adjustment.
Psychotherapists utilize advanced techniques to treat complex mental health issues that seriously impact the individual’s level of functioning.
Requirements for Graduation
- Complete 15 required courses; plus one elective; fulfill the volunteer requirement.
- Pass each course with a minimum of 65%.
- Compile a portfolio of job skills required for entry-level practice as a Professional Counsellor.
- Demonstrate competency in all core concepts by passing a comprehensive proficiency exam at the conclusion of the program.
- A total of 984 hours of coursework are required for completion of the Diploma program.