Improve your digital skills for study, life and work, and learn how to navigate the web effectively and safely.
Create a plan for using digital tools to learn more about your favourite topics
On this course, you’ll learn about the digital technologies you can use to make your life, work and study easier.
From email and messaging to social media, you’ll discover digital tools for communicating and searching and explore the creative possibilities offered by digital technology.
You’ll learn why and how to stay safe online, how to find trustworthy content and the importance of how others perceive you online.
You’ll also learn how to use the internet to search and apply for jobs, and explore how online communities can help you in a variety of situations.
What topics will you cover?
The fundamental skills needed to use the internet, including:
- Email, social media and research through the effective use of search engines and databases.
- Online collaboration with others - for work, to create digital content, and to communicate with friends and family.
- Creating advanced digital content by choosing the relevant tools and developing a creative idea.
- Developing the judgement and knowledge to stay safe online and protect privacy, while treating others with respect.
- Understanding how to use online communities and develop a Personal Learning Network to improve skills and receive support.
- How to become a self-directed learner and reflect on one’s learning; gaining the confidence needed to plan how digital skills can be integrated into a future study, work and life.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 2 November 2020
- 15 February 2021
- 26 April 2021
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Demonstrate how to register and log in to websites, navigate the web, create social media profiles for well-known platforms.
- Investigate and search for resources to support your job-seeking, studies and daily life.
- Collaborate and work together safely online and use online communities to develop your skills and receive support, as well as understand the importance of a personal learning network.
- Produce advanced digital content and post it to appropriate platforms.
- Identify and discriminate between trustworthy and untrustworthy communications and content online.
- Reflect systematically on your own learning progress.
- Develop your own personal plan for learning beyond the course and using your new skills effectively.
Who is the course for?
This course has been created for refugees, displaced people and the communities supporting them in the MENA (Middle East and Northern Africa) region who wish to take advantage of digital channels and devices to improve their lives, their job prospects and their opportunities to study.
It is aimed particularly at those who want to enter university and study any subject with a digital element, such as STEM, healthcare, social sciences, or arts and humanities.
The course has been created as part of the PADILEIA project, which aims to increase access to higher education and employment.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) A2 to get the most from this course.
Who developed this course?
King's College London
King’s College London, established in 1829 and a founding college of the University of London, is one of the world’s leading research and teaching universities, based in the very heart of London.
King's College London is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course.
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes.
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible.
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.