- Teaching period: July 6-17, 2020
- Teaching hours: 45
- Academic coordinator: Raquel Antolín López
- Knowledge area: Management, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Given growing globalization trends and the increasingly dynamic and complex nature of markets, companies operate in different countries, employ an international workforce, and face challenges that require innovation and creativity. They need professionals with entrepreneurship skills (leadership, creativity, innovation, market research in an international environment) applicable to international and changing environments.
In this course, we offer a practical and applied perspective in order to empower our students to develop an entrepreneurial mindset that can help them to deal with the uncertainty and challenges raised by current global markets and create successful international ventures. Specifically, this course seeks to provide the knowledge, tools, and skills to achieve success in idea generation, opportunity identification, risk, and opportunity assessment, and new venture design and development in an international context; skills necessary to transform innovative ideas into viable and sustainable ventures or product/services.
The course is deeply based on students’ interaction in order to develop and apply both individual and team entrepreneurial skills.
The different sessions will be taught by instructors specialized in Entrepreneurship at the University of Almeria and in the professional world. All the lecturers have teaching experience both in Spanish and English in different bachelor degrees and in Master/Postgraduate courses, including an MBA and a Master in International Business Administration and Modern Languages (in English). The teaching staff is also very active in research with publications in prestigious international journals such as J. Business Ethics, Organization & Environment, Plos One, or Business Strategy & the Environment; as well as international chapters or books. In addition, their works are presented in international conferences such as the Academy of Management, Babson College Conference, Strategic Management Conference, Academy of Management Science. Their research is multi-disciplinary and focuses on strategic management and entrepreneurship. It includes different levels of analysis: teams, enterprises, economic sectors, and production systems.
The general objective is to analyze the role of entrepreneurs and innovation in business and society and acquire the basic notions and skills needed to launch an entrepreneurial business project.
Upon successful completion of this course, students shall:
- Have increased knowledge and understanding of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial cycle
- Have learned the process of new venture creation
- Have the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to generate and develop a business idea, assess its feasibility and viability and publicly present that idea
- Have understood and developed competencies for the creation of a new venture in an international context
The sessions are structured following the “Entrepreneurial Cycle” that allows exploring and knowing the process of venture creation from the beginning to the end. In particular, the entrepreneurial cycle covers the following stages:
- The illumination stage/opportunity identification (creativity and the generation of business ideas)
- The maturation stage/opportunity assessment (viability and feasibility analysis of a business idea)
- Development and Implementation/Exploration stage (business model elements and design)
- Opportunity exploitation (legal form, funding, business plan).
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Business ideas generation: Creativity and Innovation
- Is my business idea attractive? Opportunity analysis
- International market research
- Opportunity exploration: Business models design
- E-commerce and digital strategy
- Teamwork: business idea development
- Business idea competition: the investment forum
Virtual company visits
- Clisol Agro: Innovative and entrepreneurial agrifood company in Almeria.
Virtual guest speakers
- Young entrepreneurs’ panel: Three young entrepreneurs will speak about their business creation processes and will provide feedback to students’ ideas.
This course has an eminently practical and dynamic nature to elicit active participation and interaction among students. It consists of eight virtual sessions.
The contents are predominantly oriented toward the development and training of individual and team entrepreneurial skills. Consequently, students should interact in a particularly intense manner during the classes to reach the goals of the course. Both individual and teamwork are required.
The completion of the course will consist of the development of an entrepreneurial business project in teams. Along with the sessions, students will apply the knowledge acquired to generate and further develop a business idea and transform it into a viable and feasible new venture. The last session will consist of an “investment forum”, where the teams will present their business ideas that will be assessed by the rest of the teams (performing the role of investors) and a committee of experts. The best project will receive recognition.
These sessions are characterized by a myriad of teaching methodologies that include group dynamics, problem-based learning, short cases, creativity games, experiential exercises, guest speakers, business project development, and participatory master lessons.
The course is taught in English and is completely virtual. All the lecturers have experience in teaching virtual courses and in English at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
Virtual Company Visit
Students will have the opportunity to visit virtually Clisol Agro and know its founder: Lola Ferrón.
CLISOL AGRO, located in Almeria, is considered an international referent in the agrifood industry. This firm is a clear example of an entrepreneurial agrifood company that has been continuously innovating as a way to differentiate from its competitors and being successful in an increasingly globalized market, which a higher number of consumers demanding higher quality products. It is also pioneering in developing sustainable practices to reduce environmental impact. It has collaborated with the BBC documentary entitled “Europe’s Salad Bowl”.
Students will have the opportunity to know about the business strategies and innovations developed by the company to become an international benchmark of quality and sustainability. In addition, they will learn in a real-life business context how to identify business opportunities and transform them into successful business services, products, practices, and business models.
Final grade 0-100:
The grades are comprised as follows:
- Participation: 10 points
- Activities: 30 points
- Final business project: 60 points
Students must obtain a minimum of 50 points to successfully pass the course and obtain their course certificate.
A minimum of 80% of virtual attendance is required.
About the School
The University of Almería, Spain, organizes summer courses each July since 2013. They are designed by the most prestigious experts of the leading-edge fields of our University and are taught by Doctor ... Read More