Discover the essentials of user experience and bring your product to life by designing your own mobile application.
This course is part of the An Introduction to Coding and Design program, which will enable you to get acquainted with programming and the fundamentals of user experience (UX).
Explore the core principles behind user design and user experience
News, shopping, banking, social media; most of us have multiple mobile apps on our smartphones, but how are they made and what makes a good one?
Dive into the world of app design with the Institute of Coding and learn how to create a great user experience.
You’ll hear from industry professionals on how they go about designing and building apps for their users.
You’ll also have the opportunity to produce clickable prototypes from your own sketches and create your own application.
What topics will you cover?
- How a smartphone works
- The features that make a phone interactive
- Looking for problems to solve with applications
- Designing an application
- Testing an application
- Meeting an application development team
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 28 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify the features of a smartphone that influence the design of an application.
- Describe how interactive and visual features contribute to the great user experience of applications.
- Discuss the various roles and stages necessary to make a mobile application.
- Identify and describe a simple problem that an app could solve.
- Design screens and architecture of a mobile app using pen, paper and your own smartphone.
- Produce clickable prototypes from your sketches and test them.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people who have digital skills but would like to build confidence in using digital technology in the workplace.
This may include those studying for A-levels, those who have a degree, or those who want to improve their career prospects.
The course will also be useful for anyone in employment who wants to boost their digital skills or anyone returning to the workplace who’d like to gain confidence in how working practices has evolved.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Digital Skills for the Workplace collection from the University of Leeds and the Institute of Coding.
Who will you learn with?
I'm a technologist and designer. I make things out of hardware, software, and the internet. When not making technology and art, I also write music and build instruments. I originally studied English.
Who developed the course?
University of Leeds
As one of the UK’s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
The University of Leeds is offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
- Unlimited access to this course.
- Includes any articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes.
- Tests to validate your learning.
- A PDF certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you’re eligible.
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.