Learn how to programme inclusive, creative interfaces for disabled users while meeting legal accessibility requirements.
Discover how to programme interfaces that work for disabled users
Accessibility is a requirement laid out by EU and UK government legislation.
All public websites and digital services must comply with WCAG 2.2 – guidance to those creating and serving digital content. The deadline for websites to meet this guidance is fast approaching.
On this course you’ll discover the issues that disabled users face when using creative technology, exploring how to follow accessibility guidance and compliance.
What topics will you cover?
- What issues impact disabled users using creative technology?
- How can interfaces be made more accessible for those with sight, hearing and cognitive impairments?
- What kinds of experiences do people with visual and hearing impairments have when using the internet, mobile devices and streaming services?
- What guidance is available for those attempting to make their websites and services more accessible?
- What forms of compliance are necessary when creating websites and services?
- How can you create customisable interfaces with clear navigation?
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explore the issues that impact disabled users using creative technology.
- Describe how interfaces can be made more accessible for those with visual, hearing and cognitive impairments.
- Reflect on the kinds of experiences people with visual and hearing impairments have when using the internet, mobile devices and streaming services.
- Engage with the guidance available for those attempting to make their websites and services more accessible.
- Explore the forms of compliance necessary when creating websites and services.
- Describe how you can create customisable interfaces with clear navigation.
Who is the course for?
This course is for those interested in a career in user experience, who lack programming experience or knowledge of WCAG or accessibility requirements.
It would benefit people designing websites who want to know more about the issues disabled users face when using the internet, mobile devices, and streaming services.
It would be also ideal for those considering a master’s degree in creative computing, who want a taste of what would be involved.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Essential Creative Technologies collection from UAL Creative Computing Institute, Lancaster University and the Institute of Coding.
Who developed the course?
UAL Creative Computing Institute
The UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI) offers innovative new courses, research opportunities and a public platform to explore computer science and creative practice.
Institute of Coding
The Institute of Coding is a family of learners, businesses and educators creating a new way to develop the digital skills needed at work and beyond.
Join this course
$259.99 for one year
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.