Old as humans, sacred as ancient rites, so valuable that they were considered gods' gifts to humankind, the olive tree and olive oil appeared in the Mediterranean Basin and became dominant and permanent fixtures of its landscape. This course delves into history and culture of the olive tree and olive oil, while it emphasizes their nutritional value.
In this online course, you will learn how to classify olive oil according to its quality characteristics and how to produce high-quality olive oil. You will also learn how olive oil has been a source of inspiration and how several artists used it in order to create works of art from ancient times till today. The content of this course presents the varieties and characteristics of olives and the various types of olive oil that are destined to be consumed and used in recipes based on Mediterranean diet.
Last but not least, this course aims to define how important olive oil is, how it can benefit our daily diet and additionally how it can contribute to conserving a healthy lifestyle. All of the above will be analyzed further and in detail in this online course part of the Arts and Culture category.
This course concerns those with a particular interest in the history and culture of the olive tree and olive oil and its nutritional value.
The main purpose of the course is to get the e-learner in contact with the olives and olive oil, to be able to recognize the importance and the benefits in their daily lives.
In particular, the course focuses on :
- the route of the olive and olive oil through the ages and their importance in everyday life of ancient and modern Greeks with respect to nutrition, health, art, culture, tradition, and religion.
- the varieties of olives grown in Greece, and the characteristics of the olives.
- the various types of olive oil marketed (virgin, extra virgin, refined, olive oil PDO, organic, etc.) depending on the composition and quality characteristics
- the production of high-quality oil and the main types of mills
- the characteristics of the Mediterranean diet and the role of oil in this
- the benefits of olive oil in the daily diet and its contribution to health
Olive growing is one of the most important cultures associated with the life and evolution of humankind; the presence of the olive tree has an important part of daily nutrition since the appearance of human life in our planet. But how came the olive in the Mediterranean? What it's cultural history and its uses in the antiquity? What is its historical tradition, its links to religion and the arts? How can we classify olive oil, to distinguish and how we can produce high-quality olive oil? What is the nutritional value of these products and their biological properties? Finally, how is olive oil an important part of the Mediterranean diet and the benefits of its consumption?
This programme aims to answer all these questions through information based on scientific and historical facts, research papers, videos and interviews designed to initiate the student to the magical world of olives and olive oil.
Program taught in: