Why join the course?
This free online course will provide an introduction to the foundation skills and knowledge that you need when becoming a manager.
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, who wish to supplement their experience with formal training and begin thinking about their continuing professional development.
Understand the foundations of management and leadership
Over four weeks, the course will enable you to:
- define the concepts of management and leadership;
- evaluate different management and learning styles;
- recognise the need for and importance of data as evidence in good decision making;
- define the term “stakeholders” and explain why they’re important;
- and begin the on-going process of personal development planning.
Learn with The Open University Business School and CMI
The course has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB – and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – the leading authority on management and leadership in the UK.
As such, it will give you the opportunity to learn from both academic experts and experienced practitioners, who have achieved the CMI’s prestigious Chartered Manager status.
Take your first step to becoming a Chartered Manager
The course is the first of two from the Open University and the Chartered Management Institute on FutureLearn. By completing both courses and an assessment, you will achieve the CMI Level 5 Award in Management and Leadership – the first step in becoming a Chartered Manager yourself.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - What is Management?
- What is management?
- Personal development planning
- Influencing and communicating
Week 2 - Management Styles
- An introduction to management styles
- Classic management style theories
- The importance of management styles – trust in the workplace
Week 3 - Decision Making and Data
- An introduction to decision making
- A possible approach to decision making
- The importance of data and information
- Decision information
Week 4 - Stakeholders
- An introduction to stakeholders
- Categorising stakeholders
- Understanding stakeholders and meeting their needs
What will you achieve?
- Describe the concepts of management and leadership
- Understand and evaluate different management and learning styles
- Identify the need for and the importance of data as evidence in good decision making
- Identify and define the term 'stakeholders' and gain an understanding of why they are important
- Begin and develop the on-going process of personal development planning
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 17, 2017