ABOUT THIS COURSE
EFFECTIVE TRAINING FOR LASTING BEHAVIOR AND A STRONG BOND WITH DOGS OF ANY AGE
Whether you need to train your new puppy or you own an older dog with problem behaviours, then this video course, filmed with real dogs, is for you. Less than 5% of dog owners take their canine friends to a training centre. Physically attending classes each week takes commitment, time and money. Now, with this online course, you can work at your own pace without having to leave the comfort of your own home.
Millions of dogs get dropped off in shelters each year by owners who can't cope and one of the top reasons for this is lack of professional training. Many of these dogs end up being euthanized. A trained dog is 6 times less likely to be surrendered to a shelter. Dogs don't come trained, and they need owners who are willing to work with their animals in a calm and structured way, putting in place the habits and behaviours needed for a happy and healthy life. Without proper training, issues will occur later down the road.
Dog training is such a crucial part of your dog's overall well being. It can also save their life. Teaching basic commands like 'wait at the door' or 'stay' can save your dog from running into a busy street. 'Leave it' can save your pet from swallowing something that could kill them. Through positive reinforcement based dog training, you'll build mutual respect and teach your dog all the tools needed to be the best that they can be.
This course is taught by a certified professional dog trainer, Ian Stone, who has over 10 years of experience working in animal welfare. He will guide you step-by-step through fundamental concepts, basic training commands, behaviour problems, as well as some games and tricks! Whether you have a puppy, a newly adopted dog from a shelter or an older dog who needs some behavioural training - everything in this course can be applied to canine friends of any age!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
During this course you'll learn:
- what hardware to use
- fundamental concepts
- how your dog learns
- how to keep your dog engaged and focused
- basic behaviours
- simple commands (sit, stay, down)
- how to walk on a leash
- food handling
- potty training
- puppy biting
- toy training
- common behavioural problems
- troubleshooting strategies
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wants to build a stronger bond with their pet and provide the highest level of training to improve their life. Whether you just brought home a new puppy, adopted a shelter dog or live with an older dog who never got properly trained this course is perfect for you.
This course takes the stress out of having to be somewhere at a specific time each week for dog training. It allows you to properly train from the comfort of your own home. Understand how your pet thinks and keep their attention to basic commands and common behavioural problems. Professional dog trainer Ian Stone takes you step-by-step with video of real dogs to show you how to properly train your furry friend and how to have fun while doing so!
Here are some benefits to training your dog:
- improve the life of your pet
- strengthen your bond together
- create a fun and enjoyable activity
- decrease and eliminate behaviour issues
- save your dog from potentially dangerous situations
- provides enrichment and stimulates your dog's brain
- builds confidence in shy and fearful dogs
- creates less work for you in the future
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Pass the exams with a minimum score of 55% for each (each module includes a test based on key learning objectives in that study topic)
If you meet these criteria, your certificate of successful completion will be emailed to you immediately after you finish the course
You will also have the option to order a hard copy certificate directly from ICOES.
This course is CPD/CE accredited. Our CPD accredited courses count towards the total of CPD hours to submit for your job role. CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
Receive your certificate in 4 simple steps
- Step 1 - Register: Follow the easy peasy enrollment process
- Step 2 - Study: Absorb and remember course content with our easy-to-follow, structured information and helpful illustrations. And yes - you can study anywhere, anytime, from any device
- Step 3 - Evaluations: Reinforce your learning with quizzes at the end of each module
- Step 4 - Certification: Once you’ve successfully completed your course and passed the exams, you’ll receive your certification. Congratulations on your amazing achievement!
Module 1: Foundations
- 1.1 Meet the trainer
- 1.2 Hardware and habituation
- 1.3 Communication
- 1.4 Food handling
- 1.5 Engagement and motivation
Module 2: New Dog
- 2.1 Realistic expectations
- 2.2 Potty training
- 2.3 Puppy biting
- 2.4 Socialization
Module 3: Basic Moves
- 3.1 Exercise and stimulation
- 3.2 Basic control positions
- 3.3 Training the stay
- 3.4 Loose leash walking 1
- 3.5 Leave it
- 3.6 Teaching get off
Module 4: Further Moves
- 4.1 Goals criteria and proofing
- 4.2 Toy training
- 4.3 Teaching to come
- 4.4 Loose leash walking 2
- 4.5 Leave it 2
Module 5: Side Hustles
- 5.1 Train everything like a game
- 5.2 Come games
- 5.3 Fixing jumping
- 5.4 Fixing barking
- 5.5 Trick training
Module 6: Onward
- 6.1 Troubleshooting
- 6.2 Farewell
100% AUTHENTIC STUDENT TESTIMONIALS
The courses are very easy to understand and follow. The tests are short and sweet, and really help you remember what you've read. I’ve enjoyed all of the courses I've taken so far. Yolanda - United States
Absolutely thrilled with my decision to pursue a course of training through IOA! So many amazing elements have come from my experience so far. Being able to do it at my own pace is such a huge bonus. It is challenging and fun! A good decision for anyone! Janelle Pierce
This course has already been a 100% total success and experience! I love this course and will sign up for more soon! Thanks for the continued encouragement! Beverly Celestain - United States
The support team has helped me and even congratulated me once I finished the course which was something I wasn't expecting, but it was nice to feel like you had friends that helped you accomplish something that you've wanted to do. Kiya Childers - United States
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 4, 2018