In the growing area of Islamic microfinance, a diverse skill set is required. Professionals have to be knowledgeable in traditional retail banking, in the ethics of Islamic finance and in the relevant compliance and regulation issues. In order to provide you with the necessary skills and know-how to become a well-rounded Islamic microfinance professional, we have designed the certification course ‘Certified Expert in Islamic Microfinance’.
This e-learning course was jointly developed by a team of experts from the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, Islamic Relief Worldwide, and the Humanitarian Academy for Development.
This combination of expertise provides you with the opportunity to have a rich learning experience based on the broad knowledge of diverse, highly qualified professionals.
The development of the "Certified Expert in Islamic Microfinance" was co-funded with UK aid from the UK government.
What we offer
- An interactive e-learning course including video lectures, PDF scripts, examples, practical exercises, online tests, and case studies.
- A discussion forum for course-related issues as well as for the exchange of opinions and experiences with, tutors, peers, and the FSDF e-Campus team.
- Personalized support from your e-Campus team.
- The possibility to achieve a Frankfurt School certificate after passing the final exam or a confirmation of course completion after completing the course.
- An international network of institutions hosting our final exam all over the world.
This course is targeted towards microfinance and development professionals who are working in areas such as microfinance, Islamic microfinance, and end-user finance, or towards participants who want to explore Islamic microfinance. This includes staff from the following organizations, at either the operational level or the management level:
- Faith-based NGOs and non-faith-based NGOs
- Islamic microfinance institutions
- Microfinance institutions
- Retail banks interested in downscaling
- Social/impact investors
- Banking training institutes
Other interested parties are of course also welcome to register for the course, such as:
- Central bankers
- Staff members of apex institutions
- Students (preferably with a banking/finance background)
Operational experience from the conventional microfinance sector or the Islamic finance sector is not necessary but is considered as an asset.
In this course, you will learn the principles of Islamic finance and the major financing mechanisms and products within Islamic microfinance. The course will enable you to develop a thorough understanding of the risk landscape and risk mitigation strategies. Furthermore, regulatory, governance and Sharia compliance frameworks for Islamic microfinance will be discussed and analyzed.
Having been co-developed by Frankfurt School and the Islamic Relief Academy, this course provides a rich learning experience based on the expertise from a top-ranked business school, combined with the expertise of a renowned provider of Islamic microfinance.
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Understand the principles of Islamic finance and recognize the distinctness of some of the major financing mechanisms and products used in the Islamic microfinance sector
- Apply/Demonstrate the ability to carry out client appraisals
- Apply/Demonstrate the ability to analyze micro-financial performance information and employ the necessary tools
- Recognize the areas and issues critical for risk management
- Explain the key parameters for Regulatory, Governance and Sharia Compliance Frameworks for Islamic Microfinance
- Unit 1: Overview of Islamic Economics & Microfinance System
- Unit 2: The Microfinance Contracts & Transaction Agreements (Part 1)
- Unit 3: The Microfinance Contracts & Transaction Agreements (Part 2)
- Unit 4: Managing Islamic Microfinancing
- Unit 5: Risk Management in Islamic Microfinance Institutions
- Unit 6: Regulatory, Governance and Sharia Compliance Framework for Islamic Microfinance
- Unit 7: Financial and Social Performance Management
The course takes approximately 6 months assuming 3-4 hours of self-study per week. It consists of 7 units that build upon each other. You will take the units in sequence and will need to pass an online multiple-choice test before accessing the next unit.
Unit 4 and Unit 6 include an assignment which you will need to submit at a fixed deadline.
You are not sure if you manage to complete the course within 6 months? No worries! You can apply for a course extension (6 more months) against an administrative fee.
Final exam fee: €50 (to be paid directly to the final exam host).
Certificate fee: After passing the final exam you will receive a digital certificate. Should you wish to receive a hard copy of your certificate as well, an administrative fee of €50 will be charged.
Please click here to register.
- 10% group discount (for 2 or more participants working for the same institution, informed to us before by an email)
- 10% for FS Alumni
- For company packages, please contact us
- Bank Transfer (bank fees to be covered by participants)
- Credit Card
Payment in installments is unfortunately not possible.
*Subject to change
About the School
Frankfurt School of Finance & Management is an AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA accredited, research-led business school, covering every aspect of a business, management, banking, and finance.