Mathematics and statistics are fascinating subjects and highly relevant to contemporary life. Their tools and techniques are essential for solving problems and making decisions – and for many exciting careers from IT to engineering. This certificate is ideal if you need some underpinning mathematics for other studies or at work; as the first step towards higher level qualification; or if you’re simply curious and want to take your interest a bit further.
Key features of the course
- Introduces pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics
- Builds your confidence working with abstract ideas; modeling real-world problems and using mathematical and statistical software
- Offers a choice of two start points to suit your level of mathematical knowledge
- Enhances your employability
- Builds a solid foundation for further study
This certificate of higher education has one stage, comprising 120 credits.
Mathematics is a linear subject – it’s important to have a good understanding of the basics before moving on to more advanced topics. You’ll begin with an introduction to key mathematical ideas, ideal if you’re not confident with algebra and trigonometry; if you haven’t previously studied mathematics to an advanced level; or if you haven’t studied mathematics for some time and need to refresh your skills.
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The Certificate of Higher Education in Mathematical Sciences uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- using mathematical and scientific expressions, notations and associated techniques
- using and producing diagrams and/or screenshots
- studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- in some modules undertaking small amounts of practical work
- using specialist mathematical or statistical software.
Learning outcomes, teaching, and assessment
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increase as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media, and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification, but it is very important that you are well prepared to study mathematics at this level.
Before you register for this qualification, it is essential to check that you have the appropriate mathematical skills.
Skills for career development
This certificate course provides skills and knowledge required for jobs in a wide range of fields. It will particularly enhance the following transferable and highly valued skills:
- communicating mathematical ideas clearly and succinctly
- explaining mathematical ideas to others
- understanding complex mathematical texts
- working with abstract concepts
- thinking logically
- expressing problems in mathematical language
- constructing logical arguments
- finding solutions to problems
- interpreting mathematical results in real-world terms
- using the relevant professional software.
Career areas directly related to mathematics include:
- market research
- quantitative analysis/risk analysis
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 17, 2018