Certificate of Higher Education Open
If you’re keen to try university study but want to keep your options open, this flexible certificate is the ideal starting point. You can mix and match any subjects you like – following your enthusiasms, stretching yourself with a new subject, or focusing on something useful for your career (or all three!).
Key features of the course
- Design a study profile to suit your particular needs and interests
- Mix and match modules as you like, or combine one main subject with a few modules from other areas
- Gain essential study skills and a good grounding in your chosen subjects
- Build your confidence, get ready for new challenges and enhance your employability.
The Open CertHE is a unique programme that allows you to mould your studies to suit your changing needs or circumstances. Choosing from a wide range of rewarding and enjoyable modules you can steer your studies to focus on, or combine, personal interests and career needs. The programme aims to provide you with:
- the flexibility to study modules in one or more subjects
- the opportunity to develop your skills, knowledge and capabilities through Level 1 university study
- an appreciation of the development of knowledge and its application in your chosen subjects
- the skills to learn independently, organise information and communicate effectively, whether for academic study, employment, or your own pleasure and satisfaction.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £5,264 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 2 years
- Full time – 1 year
- Time limit – 7 years
The flexibility of our Open qualifications makes them relevant to a wide range of careers and industries – many of which do not require qualifications to be subject-specific. This Certificate can help you to develop in your existing employment, or be the first step towards a whole new career. Its flexibility particularly suits people with multi-faceted work roles; and anyone needing to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding in their current job or future career path.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this degree. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in: