The Certificate of Higher Education Open provides you with an opportunity to study modules from a wide range of subject areas, enabling you to build a qualification that’s unique to you. If you’re keen to try university study but want to keep your options open, this flexible certificate is the ideal starting point.
Key features of the course
- Design your own qualification to suit your personal and professional needs, interests and aspirations
- Enhance your employability
- Easily change direction if your study interests change
This certificate of higher education has one stage, comprising 120 credits of OU level 1 study.
You’ll start Stage 1 with 60 credits from a wide and varied choice of introductory modules. Worth 30 or 60 credits, these modules have been specially selected to develop your subject knowledge and study skills in preparation for further OU study.
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The Certificate of Higher Education Open uses a variety of study materials and may have the following elements, depending on the modules you choose to study:
- studying a mixture of printed and online material Online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- using mathematical and scientific expressions, notations and associated techniques
- working with a specialist reading material such as works of art and musical manuscripts
- working in a group with other students
- using and/or producing diagrams and/or screenshots
- undertaking practical work
- finding external/third party material online
- using specialist software (for example the Sibelius music writing package)
- using an online Laboratory or Design/Engineering Studio.
All qualifications require you to complete learning and assessment activities within a required timescale and according to pre-determined deadlines. You will, therefore, need to manage your time effectively during your studies and the University will help you to develop this skill throughout your degree. Information on assessment will be available to you at the start of each module.
Learning outcomes, teaching, and assessment
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increase as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media, and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification.
This certificate begins with one of a range of key introductory modules, which are all designed to build a solid foundation for further study. Although they’re introductory modules, having some basic skills before you begin can help you get the best from your studies. For example, if you choose one of our science, maths or engineering modules you might want to check if your IT and mathematical skills are up to scratch. For the following subject areas, we offer online diagnostic tools to help you to decide if you’re ready, or if you could do with some extra preparation:
Skills for career development
A Certificate of Higher Education Open equips you with a wide range of expertise, skills, and capabilities that are much sought after in today’s highly competitive job market. Whatever your choice of modules, this certificate will help you develop key transferable skills, which may include:
- the team working
- communication and literacy
- application of information technology (IT).
The flexibility of our Certificate of Higher Education Open makes it relevant to a wide range of careers and industries – many of which do not require qualifications to be subject-specific. This certificate can help you to develop your existing employment, or be the first step towards a whole new career. Its flexibility particularly suits people with multi-faceted work roles; and anyone needing to develop their skills, knowledge, and understanding in their current job or future career path.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 16, 2018