Challenge your opinion of what it's like to be a care home nurse and understand their importance and varied responsibilities.
Explore the roles and specialist nursing skills expected of care home nurses
Care homes are vital in meeting the needs of people living with health and social care needs. Despite this, the sector struggles to recruit and retain registered care home nurses.
On this course, you will improve your knowledge of the skills nurses need to effectively look aftercare home residents. You will discuss the myths surrounding care homes and the clinical and ethical decisions nurses need to make on a regular basis. You will also understand how care home nurses work together with residents and their families, and the nursing career development opportunities in the sector.
What topics will you cover?
- The specialist and complex nature of care home nursing in a changing health and social care environment.
- The range of nursing skills used with residents living in care homes, including Anticipatory Care Planning, Adults with Incapacity, managing emergencies, caring for clients with complex care needs and providing palliative and respite care.
- The career development, leadership and management skills of Registered Nurses, as well as the caring skills of healthcare assistants.
- Collaborative working with residents and families, the local community and primary and social care agencies.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify the myths and misconceptions about care homes and care home nursing.
- Assess nursing collaborations and career development in care home nursing.
- Summarise the clinical and ethical decision making of nurses working in care homes.
- Describe the scrutiny and quality standards associated with care home nursing.
- Discuss the specialist skills associated with care home nursing.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with a personal or professional interest in care home nursing. This includes registered nurses, nursing students, and care home workers, managers, and residents.
Who will you learn with?
I'm a Clinical/Academic Nurse Consultant (Older People) with the School of Nursing & Health Sciences, University of Dundee and with NHS Tayside. Most of my career has related to nursing for older people.
Who developed the course?
University of Dundee
The University of Dundee is one of the world’s Top 200 universities and was named the Scottish University of the Year for both 2016 and 2017. Dundee offers one of the UK’s best student experiences.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.