Set up your own interior design business by learning the skills you need to create amazing interior solutions and concepts
Design exquisite home interiors without leaving yours! Interior design is a stimulating and rewarding profession. It challenges your creativity, ingenuity, practicality, and inspiration. It’s also great fun! Interior designers were once used only by the very wealthy. Now, interior design, particularly in the area of home styling, is widely sought after. People have busy lives and are prepared to incorporate the cost of a designer into home projects so that they achieve an outstanding finish that’s professional & individual and get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Pleasing aesthetics, functional design, sustainability
Working through the layers and steps of interior design and home styling, this course will help develop your creative process so that you make aesthetically pleasing design choices that fulfil your clients’ functional and personal design requirements. We guide you on how to visually communicate your ideas to your client.
We introduce you to the progressive approach of seeking sustainable and health-enhancing styling. You’ll also get guidance on managing your interior design business in a professional way.
In your own space and time, develop the skills to come up with great interior solutions and concepts that manifest in elegant, stunning home styling. Begin your online interior design styling training with the IOA today.
What you’ll learn
Fundamentals, concepts & practical implementation of interior styling in this IOA Interior Design & Home Styling course, immerse yourself in the fundamentals, design concepts and practical implementation of this area of interior design.
- How to analyze a space for design
- What elements to consider first?
- What to take into account when choosing design features
- How to work with practical building features and utilities
- How to use a space & flowchart to plan your project
Once you’ve learned the design principles, created the structure to your project and formulated a design concept, it’s time to move on to the more fun elements of interior design.
We’ll take you through:
- Balancing space and function with style
- Choosing harmonizing/contrasting or feature materials for floors and walls
- Blending lighting with your overall design concept
- Using a colour wheel to choose winning colour combinations
- Choosing fabrics, textures & patterns that please client’s senses
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for anyone who is interested in a career in interior design. Are you the stylish one in your group? Does everyone always compliment your eye, your attention to detail, the chic way you put together your living room? Then this is for you!
Enhance your skills and create your dream career with this course! Even if you simply want to dabble, and not charge for your amazing design ability, this course will allow you to take your interior design to the next level.
After completing this course, you could:
- Open your own interior design business
- Help friends and family with their interior design
- Get a job in the challenging and exciting field of interior design
- Increase your knowledge and skills, perhaps impressing your boss and earning a raise
International Open Academy courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
To receive certification, you must:
- Complete every page of the course
- Pass the exams with a minimum score of 55% for each (each module includes a test based on key learning objectives in that study topic)
If you meet these criteria, your certificate of successful completion will be emailed to you immediately after you finish the course
You will also have the option to order a hard copy certificate directly from ICOES. (www.icoes.org)
This course is CPD/CE accredited. Our CPD accredited courses count towards the total of CPD hours to submit for your job role. CPD points are accepted and recognized by employers from both the public and private sectors, and academic institutions across the UK and internationally.
Receive your certificate in 4 simple steps
Step 1 - Register: Follow the easy peasy enrollment process
Step 2 - Study: Absorb and remember course content with our easy-to-follow, structured information and helpful illustrations. And yes - you can study anywhere, anytime, from any device
Step 3 - Evaluations: Reinforce your learning with quizzes at the end of each module
Step 4 - Certification: Once you’ve successfully completed your course and passed the exams, you’ll receive your certification. Congratulations on your amazing achievement!
Module 1: Introduction to Interior Design
- What is Interior Design?
- Qualities & skills of an Interior Designer
- A brief history of modern Interior Design
- Becoming an Interior Designer
- Descriptive design terms
- Meeting your clients
Module 2: Design Principles
- Define your tasks
- Interfacing with other disciplines
- Design concept
- Drawings & plans
- Six design principles
- Finding inspiration
Module 3: Project Overview
- Design steps
- Working with the team
- Payment strategies
- Project management tips
- Design evaluation
- Common design challenges
Module 4: Design Elements
- Colours, accessories & their significance
- Spatial relationships & proportion
- Scale & balance
- Texture, patterns & fabrics
- Line & form
- The user’s experience – sight, sound, smell, taste & touch
Module 5: Design Elements
- Choosing a suitable colour scheme
- Choosing flooring and & wall décor
- Choosing & placing furniture
- Choosing window dressings
- Choosing & placing lighting
- Choosing accessories & soft furnishings
Module 6: Room by Room Design
- Living room
- Kid’s room
Module 7: Popular Interior Styles
- Shabby Chic
- New York Style
- Parisian Style
- New England
Module 8: Sustainable Design
- Design & the environment
- Environmental policy
- Responsible sourcing of raw materials
- Climate change
- Health & safety
Module 9: Presenting Your Ideas
- Use of perspective
- Using the colour wheel
- Pencil sketching
- Computer-aided design
- Mood boards
Module 10: Managing Interior Design Business
- Maintaining professional relationships
- Charging fees
- Preparing a portfolio
- Marketing your business
- Low-cost marketing techniques
- Setting up a website
- Social media
- Free PR
100% authentic student testimonials
The courses are very easy to understand and follow. The tests are short and sweet, and really help you remember what you've read. I’ve enjoyed all of the courses I've taken so far. Yolanda - United States
Absolutely thrilled with my decision to pursue a course of training through IOA! So many amazing elements have come from my experience so far. Being able to do it at my own pace is such a huge bonus. It is challenging and fun! A good decision for anyone! Janelle Pierce
This course has already been a 100% total success and experience! I love this course and will sign up for more soon! Thanks for the continued encouragement!
Beverly Celestain - United States
The support team has helped me and even congratulated me once I finished the course which was something I wasn't expecting, but it was nice to feel like you had friends that helped you accomplish something that you've wanted to do.
Kiya Childers - United States