Learn how the law can be a powerful tool for guiding the strategic direction of your organization and explore the preventive measures you can employ to mitigate risk.
Effective leaders need to be able to make informed, strategic decisions that meet organizational objectives and implement the appropriate preventative measures to mitigate risk. An essential understanding of the legal landscape will help you recognize high-risk corporate behavior while providing certainty and stability, and serving as a mechanism to resolve disputes.
The Business Law for Leaders online program from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University is intended for professionals who want to understand the essentials of business law in order to become more effective, well-rounded leaders. A background in law is not required or expected.
Whether your organization is based in or does business with, the United States, you’ll develop the legal literacy required to operate within its complex regulatory landscape. This executive education program will provide you with a foundational knowledge of United States business laws and regulations, as well as the expertise required to interpret and navigate them. You’ll also develop a personalized strategic plan to help you identify how the law can be used as a powerful business tool.
Who Should Attend
- Owners, managers, and anyone who requires a fundamental understanding of U.S. business law.
- Executives looking for beneficial insight into the laws that will impact their business.
- Professionals looking to grow in your current role, take on more responsibility or improve your legal literacy.
This Program Is for You If:
- You do business in the U.S. or with companies based there and are bound by its regulations.
- You're a company owner, start-up founder, manager, or any professional without a legal background who requires a foundational knowledge of U.S. business law.
- You work in a highly regulated industry such as finance, healthcare, or manufacturing.
- You want to learn how to leverage business law from a global leader in executive education,* the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
*QS Top MBA (2019).
Over the duration of this online program, you’ll work through the following modules:
Legal Systems and the Role of Regulation
Explore the application of U.S. laws both locally and globally, the role of the various courts, and an overview of dispute resolution.
Agency and Employment Law
Discover the circumstances under which a business is legally liable for the wrongful acts of its employees.
Tort Law: Establishing Liability for Civil Wrongs
Examine the basic requirements for a claim under tort law and the potential defenses to it.
Leveraging Contract Law for Commercial Success
Investigate the fundamentals of commercial contracts and key business considerations.
Antitrust and Competition Law
Examine the nuances of antitrust law and global competition law.
Developing an Intellectual Property Strategy
Discover the business value of patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Corporations, LLCs, Partnerships, and Other Business Entities
Review various business structures and the circumstances in which the protection they offer might be lost.
Corporate Governance and the Duties of Officers and Directors
Explore the fundamentals of good corporate governance and the fiduciary duties of directors and officers.
Please note that module titles and their contents are subject to change during program development.
Visit the course page to find out more about upcoming session dates, program price, and more:
An Online Education That Sets You Apart
This Kellogg School of Management online program is delivered in collaboration with online education provider GetSmarter. Join a growing community of global professionals, and benefit from the opportunity to:
- Gain verifiable and relevant competencies and earn invaluable recognition from an international selection of universities, entirely online and in your own time.
- Enjoy a personalized, people-mediated online learning experience created to make you feel supported at every step.
- Experience a flexible but structured approach to online education as you plan your learning around your life to meet weekly milestones.
About the School
The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University is dedicated to educating and inspiring brave leaders who build strong organizations. Growth is a challenge every leader and organization co ... Read More