Discover the secrets of the Diamond Sutra and learn how its Buddhist teachings promote living in serenity and ease.
Explore the meaning of ‘prajñā-pāramitā’ in relation to attaining Buddhahood
How can we resolve afflictions?
The Diamond Sutra is one of the most historically important texts in Buddhism. On this course, you will explore the meaning of ‘prajñā-pāramitā’ from the Diamond Sutra. You will learn why and how the zen school uses the teachings of the Diamond Sutra to attain Buddhahood.
You will also consider the four stages of Buddhahood and what is meant by the ‘adornment of the pure land’.
What topics will you cover?
- Week 1: What do you know about The Diamond Sutra? Why does the Zen school use this sutra as the reference point for authenticating the mind’s attainment?
- Week 2: To attain Buddhahood in ‘day-to-day’ experiences
- Week 3: The two categories that classify the myriad things in the world and their examples
- Week 4: Four stages of Buddhahood and Adornment of the Pure Land (construct a bright society by our own)
- Week 5: From a person who ‘receives and holds four-lined verses’, to a buddha who ‘expounds the four-lined verses for to others’
- Week 6: The Unconditioned Phenomena is “The Vájra-cchedikā Prajñā-pāramitā”
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explore the concept of ‘emptiness’ in The Diamond Sutra.
- Apply the right thought to practice, so as to understand the Buddha-nature behind the transient aspects of matters.
- Apply the right thought to experience ‘emptiness’ and subdue every affliction in daily life.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in Buddhism, religion, Zen meditation or physical science.
Who will you learn with?
Siu Nang Bruce Cheung
Dr Bruce Siu Nang Cheung is Head of College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education, and the Chairman of Universal Brightness Esoteric Buddhist Seminary.
Who developed the course?
HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education
In fulfilling the mission of The University of Hong Kong in extending lifelong learning opportunities for the community, HKU SPACE aspires to be a world-class centre of excellence.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.