Explore the impact of biochemistry on bioenergy and health, discovering why graduates are in demand; with the Biochemical Society.
Why join the course?
Biochemistry brings together all of the sciences to study the chemical and physical processes that occur in living organisms. It truly is the science of life.
As a scientific discipline in its own right, biochemistry has a major impact on all areas of the life sciences and biochemists are in high demand among employers.
Get an introduction to biochemistry
This free online biochemistry course will outline the background and history of the field and its contemporary significance in the life sciences. It’s ideal if you enjoy biology and chemistry at school, and are thinking about studying or working in biochemistry as a distinct subject.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Discuss how biochemistry brings together the natural sciences, to describe the chemical basis of living systems.
- Describe the events and scientists that have been significant during the historical development of biochemistry.
- Describe the seminal experiments that led to significant advances in biochemical knowledge.
- Discuss where biochemistry will play a role in future scientific advances, such as bioenergy, pharmaceuticals and synthetic biology.
- Recognise the wide range of jobs and career opportunities that become possible as a biochemistry graduate.
What topics will you cover?
- Skills from biochemistry
- A brief history of biochemistry
- Everyday biochemistry
- Metabolism and bioenergetics
- Future developments in bioenergy
- Natural products and healthy living
- Future developments: new technologies in the molecular sciences
- Getting involved in biochemistry
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Discuss how biochemistry brings together the natural sciences to describe the chemical basis of living systems.
- Describe events and scientists that have been significant during the historical development of biochemistry.
- Identify crossover points that exist between biology and chemistry curricula.
- Evaluate where biochemistry will play a key role in scientific advances in the future.
- Explore the wide range of jobs and career opportunities that become possible with training in biochemistry.
- Summarise seminal experiments that led to significant advances in biochemical knowledge.
Who is the course for?
This course will be of particular interest to 15 to 19 year olds who are studying biology and chemistry and considering further studies in biochemistry.
No prior formal qualifications are required for this course. With a clear explanation of relevant details, the material will be understandable to all with a basic interest and background knowledge in biology and chemistry.
Who will you learn with?
Throughout the course, you will learn with a range of staff from UEA’s Schools of Biological Sciences and Chemistry, and find out how biochemistry is underpinning developments in the life sciences at the Norwich Research Park (NRP), and Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. You will also get the chance to see interviews with people using biochemistry in a wide range of careers.
Reader in the School of Biological Sciences at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. My teaching and research link biochemistry and molecular biology, focusing on DNA structure.
Biophysical chemist in the School of Chemistry at UEA, Norwich, UK. My teaching and research link biochemistry and biophysics, focusing on the structure and function of essential membrane proteins.
Who developed the course?
UEA (University of East Anglia)
The University of East Anglia is an internationally renowned university providing top quality academic, social and cultural facilities to over 15,000 students from over 100 countries around the globe.
The Biochemical Society exists to promote excellence in research and education in the field of molecular bioscience and wider life sciences.
Join this course
$259.99 for one year
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.