Mississippi State University’s Department of Curriculum, Instruction, & Special Education offers a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with either an Early Childhood or a Middle School concentration through Distance education. We would like to welcome you to take a glance at the program where all the courses are ONLINE. You can start the teacher education program in the fall or spring semester. If you have core classes to take, you can start those in the summer. * * We are no longer able to place students in Georgia for an internship. Residents in the state of Georgia will not be eligible to teach in Georgia. * *
Why Choose MSU's Elementary Education Online Program?
- You will be enrolled in the only online elementary education bachelors program in the state of MS.
- You will enjoy the flexibility and convenience of online learning, and you can earn your degree from just about anywhere in the state or the world.
- The program allows you to complete your field experiences and student teaching internship at an elementary or middle school in or near your hometown.
- Online learning allows you to continue working through the junior year. (You must be able to complete field experiences during the school day for 2-6 hours per week the Junior year. During the senior semesters, your time in classrooms will increase until the final semester when you work full time in a classroom as a student teaching intern.)
- You will take part in field experiences that let you learn in preK-8 classrooms prior to taking over your own classroom.
- Many of your courses will be taught by full-time MSU faculty.
- Your courses, assignments, and requirements will parallel the on-campus program, which means you earn the same degree you would get on campus.
- You will take part in innovative and engaging education courses that provide you with the most current and evidence-based practices.
- Your framed diploma (with maroon mat, of course) will look awesome displayed on the wall in your future classroom!
The elementary education program is designed to prepare teacher candidates with the essential foundations for instructing children in grades K-8. Licensure at the undergraduate level requires students to declare either an early childhood or middle school concentration. In addition to elementary licensure, candidates can also earn add-on endorsements in music, art, physical education, technology, and special education.
Important Information About Field Experiences
The Elementary Education Online Program offers an opportunity for teacher candidates to complete the elementary education program completely online. During a teacher candidate’s junior and senior year in the program, the courses will require the following field experience hours:
- Early Block: 20 hours in K-3rd-grade classrooms
- Middle Block: 45 hours in 4th-8th-grade classrooms
- Senior Block: 120 hours in 2nd-8th-grade classrooms
- Teaching Internships: Full-time in a K-6th classroom
Licensure You will ONLY be licensed to teach in the state of Mississippi when you finish your elementary education degree online. If you plan to teach in another state, you are responsible for contacting your own state Department of Education to find out the requirements for a teaching license in that state. **We are no longer able to place students in Georgia for an internship. Residents living in the state of Georgia will not be eligible to teach in Georgia.** Instructors In our quest to provide the best educational experience through distance education, we have employed top quality instructors for our classes. All classes have instructors who are recognized experts in their field of study. Each instructor will be available for questions and discussion throughout each course. These instructors are real-life practitioners with advanced degrees who are experts in their areas of specialization. International undergraduate students admitted to Mississippi State University must demonstrate English language proficiency to register for academic courses offered through the colleges. Any of the following scores are acceptable to demonstrate English language proficiency:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): minimum band score of 6.0.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): minimum 525 for paper-based test, 197 for computer-based test, and 71 for Internet-based test
- English portion of the ACT: minimum 19.
Cost & Fees
Fall Semester 2017
*Other distance fees may apply, depending on the program.
|Tuition(Per Credit Hour)||$342.00|
|Instructional Support Fee(Per Credit Hour)||$25.00|
|Other Distance Fees||Available Soon*|
|ESTIMATED TOTAL- Undergrad Resident or Non-Resident Student Tuition
and Required Fees (Per Credit Hour)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 25, 2017