The Bachelor of Science in business administration online degree program provides students with a comprehensive knowledge of business theories and models and their application to real-world problems, with a focus on:
- Analysis of business problems and opportunities.
- Key business functions, such as leadership and entrepreneurship.
- Analysis and implementation of business decisions and theories.
Students learn to connect business concepts to the larger global society, with preparation for a clear career path within the field of business. They are provided a solid preparation to continue to graduate studies in business administration or related fields.
It's important to note that each student will be connected with a personal Program Advisor at the commencement of their studies, who will remain with them until graduation. The student's personal Program Advisor acts as his/her support system throughout their studies. The personal Program Advisor will be happy to answer any questions the student may have, offer academic advice, discuss course selection, and offer encouragement throughout the student's studies.
Within the context of each, students are provided with the opportunity to acquire relevant skills and knowledge.
The program has three overarching goals:
- Provides a framework in applying appropriate business models in decision-making situations.
- Interpret and analyze accounting information for efficiency and continuous performance improvement.
- Apply concepts and principles for marketing resources, goods, and services.
- Understand the basic principles of corporate finance and how capital markets operate.
- Understand how and when to use basic statistical analysis.
- Will understand (A.S. level)/ analyze (B.S. level) fundamental principles of economics and how they apply to business decisions.
- Identify and analyze business problems and opportunities and formulate recommendations for courses of action (B.S. level).
- Identify opportunities for new business ventures, and evaluate their potential for success (B.S. level).
- Covers the knowledge and skills needed to perform effectively within a team environment.
- Lead and/or co-lead collaborative projects using team-building skills to accomplish group goals apply their knowledge of basic components and interactions between hardware and software to create programs to solve computing problems.
- Understand the basic principles of organizational theory and the relationship between employees and organizations.
- Understand the principles of setting performance goals, and monitoring, mentoring, and motivating employees (B.S. level).
- Enhances a command of applying ethical reasoning to business situations.
- Demonstrate how business behavior and policies can leave a lasting effect on society, and how some portions of society may be affected differently.
- Develop self-awareness with respect to management style, time management, and sensitivity to diversity in the workplace.
- Recognize the need to respond to ethical and legal concerns relating to human resource and organizational management (B.S. level).
[Note: The Associate of Science degree level has many goals in common with the Bachelor of Science degree level. This reflects the fact that students at the Associate’s level complete the same Year 1 and Year 2 program requirements. Because students at the Bachelor’s level then complete additional requirements in the major, they are expected to achieve these goals at a higher developmental level.]
As an accredited University, UoPeople has a number of requirements for all potential applicants, to help maintain a strong, intellectual student body.
To meet admission requirements, applicants must:
- Be 16 years old or older.
- Be able to demonstrate high school completion.
- Have English proficiency.
To apply for admissions consideration to UoPeople, applicants must complete an online application, including payment of a $60 non-refundable Application Fee.
Non-Native English Speakers
In addition, applicants who are non-native English speakers, or did not complete their high school education in an institution where the primary language of instruction is English, are required to provide proof of English proficiency during their application process. Should applicants be unable to provide proof of English proficiency, they will need to successfully complete a UoPeople English course before proceeding to UoPeople Foundations.
Entrance-exams are not required for admission – this means that you do not need to submit any standardized test scores in order to be accepted to the online degree program at UoPeople.
In order to be accepted to an undergraduate degree program, students must successfully complete the UoPeople Foundations Courses. The UoPeople Foundations Courses are designed to equip students with the necessary skills needed to thrive in their academic degree studies. Once students have successfully passed the UoPeople Foundations Courses and sent their proof of high school completion document, they may continue as degree students at UoPeople in their desired undergraduate degree program. The UoPeople Foundations Courses count towards the associate’s and bachelor’s degree credit requirements.
Submitting Proof of High School Completion
Submitting proof of high school completion may be satisfied during your first term at UoPeople through the submission of:
- Official diploma (or transcript showing graduation) sent directly to UoPeople (either mailed or submitted online); or
- A photocopy of the original diploma (or transcript showing graduation) certified by a notary sent directly to UoPeople (either mailed or submitted online); or
- If an applicant, such as a refugee or asylum seeker is unable to provide the documents listed above, the applicant shall take an Ability to Benefit test approved by the US Department of Education. For additional information, please click here
For the quickest processing of your application materials, it is advised to send your documents electronically directly to your admissions advisor or to email@example.com
Refugees and Asylum-Seekers who are unable to produce original diplomas and/or transcripts may submit alternative documentation.
For applicants still wishing to send their documents to the Office of Admissions in Pasadena, California, must send to the following address:
University of the People
595 E. Colorado Boulevard. Suite 623
Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Documents that are not in the English language must be submitted along with an official notarized translation. The original as well as the English version must be sent to UoPeople.
UoPeople also accepts the following official post-secondary credentials for admissions consideration: Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees.
It is important to verify that all the appropriate documents are included, as well as to be sure that you have copies for your personal records.
***Please note that all submitted documents become the property of University of the People, and cannot be returned, due to university regulations.
If applicants have any issues or questions regarding the required documents they need to send, they may contact their personal Admissions Advisor or the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transferring Credits to UoPeople:
Students and applicants at UoPeople have the option of transferring credits toward their degree programs at UoPeople.
For undergraduate degree programs UoPeople may award the transfer of up to 50% of the required program credits. In special cases, UoPeople may choose to make an exception – allowing for up to 75%.
This means that students can transfer no more than 90 toward the completion of a Bachelor's degree.
Transferring Credits from UoPeople to Other Institutions:
The transferability of credits and credentials is at the complete discretion of the institution to which you seek to transfer, and may include a transfer fee.
Paying For School
UoPeople is able to offer our students an online degree tuition-free because of our unique model of online higher education. Our minimal processing fees help to maintain our tuition-free online degree structure—allowing all qualified students to receive their online degree without educational instruction expenses, course material, or annual enrollment fees. We ask for a non-refundable application fee of $60 and an assessment fee of $100 per exam [not in one full payment but at the time of each exam] which can be covered by numerous grants and scholarships.
The estimated total fees for the Bachelor's degree are as follows: $4,060
A student has the right to cancel this Agreement in any manner and at any time. Cancellation is effective five (5) days after the University receives the notification of a student’s cancellation. During this time, you may notify the University that you no longer wish to cancel this Agreement. Notice of Cancellation is effective if it shows that the student no longer wishes to be bound by this Agreement or to continue their attendance at the University. If the student cancels this Agreement, the student shall not be liable to the University and the University shall refund any money paid through attendance at the first class session or the seventh day after enrollment, whichever is later, excepting any non-refundable fees.
Students who drop or withdraw from a course within the required deadline are not required to pay the Assessment Fee.
The Application Fee is non-refundable except in instances when applicants withdraw their application for admission before an admissions decision is made. Applicants may write a formal request for a refund of the Application Fee to their personal advisor. If approved, refunds will be available to the applicant within 30 days of the submission of the formal request and the refund will be issued using the same payment method used by the applicant to pay the fee.
Students who remain in their course beyond the course withdrawal deadline are not eligible for a refund of the Assessment Fee. The Assessment Fee is only refundable in instances where the University has canceled a student's course or if the student’s work was not assessed at all during the course.
The Bachelor of Science requires the completion of at least 120-semester credits, including general education courses and all courses listed for the course requirements in the major.
- Complete a minimum of 120 approved credits
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 in all coursework attempted at UoPeople
- Earn an overall grade point average of at least 2.00 in all courses taken in the major area of study
- Complete all requirements for the Bachelor’s Degree in no more than 50 terms of active enrollment excluding any periods of separation from the University
- Complete the 11 required proctored exams
University of the People has five terms in its academic year, each ten weeks in length. Students must complete all requirements for the Bachelors’s Degree in no more than 50 terms of active enrollment.
Grading Policies and Practices
The University ensures that students are issued grades in a timely fashion and that grades are determined in a manner that is accurate, fair, and consistently applied in accordance with established standards.
At the conclusion of each term of study, students may check their grades in their unofficial academic record in the Student Portal. Since the unofficial academic record is a permanent record of a student’s academic performance, including course selections, grades, and credits earned toward a degree, it must be correct at all times. Students who believe an error has been made on their academic records should be in contact with the Office of Academic Affairs at email@example.com.
Students are encouraged to speak to their Course Instructors if they wish further clarification of their grades, would like to discuss their assessments or are considering requesting a grade change. Students with further complaints regarding alleged unfair or improper grading at UoPeople and who are unable to reach a resolution with their Course Instructor may request a Grade Appeal form from their personal Program Advisor.
Individual courses are the building blocks of each degree program. Course requirements are structured to ensure that student study encompasses a broad range of topics and approaches, with an appropriate balance maintained among the three curricular components that comprise a liberal arts education:
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree must complete the following 11 courses to fulfill the General Education requirements. To see the full list of general education courses required, please visit the catalog or the General Education Requirement, course catalog.
Major Courses Required
- BUS 1101 Principles of Business Management
- BUS 1103 Microeconomics
- BUS 1104 Macroeconomics
- BUS 1105 Business Communications
- BUS 2201 Principles of Marketing (proctored course)
- BUS 2202 E-Commerce (proctored course)
- BUS 2203 Principles of Finance 1
- BUS 2207 Multinational Management
- BUS 3303 Entrepreneurship 1 (proctored course)
- BUS 3305 Business Law and Ethics (proctored course)
- BUS 3306 Business and Society (proctored course)
- BUS 4402 Organizational Behavior (proctored course)
- BUS 4403 Business Policy and Strategy (proctored course)
- BUS 4405 Leadership (proctored course)
- BUS 4406 Quality Management
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree may choose additional elective courses beyond those specified in the General Education requirements, and/or select introductory courses in other majors and/or take additional courses in a student’s major that may not be required for the degree.
To succeed in today's evolving business world it's necessary to have a broad range of tools and skills at your disposal in every aspect of a business – from accounting and marketing to management and economic theory. Students working towards their Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration will learn every aspect of how a business operates and thrives in today's business climate. Students will also receive vital practical training in how to effectively conduct a job search, interview successfully for jobs, write resumes and cover letters, and plan their careers.
A Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration will prepare students for promising entry-level positions at businesses in many fields and arm students with the expertise and training necessary to thrive and grow in these positions. Students will also gain the necessary knowledge to put their own businesses into motion – such as how to create a business plan and entrepreneurship skills.
Graduates of this program can go on to work in business management at large corporations, start-ups, and retail businesses. Students may also go on to work in sales, accounting, human resources, etc. Graduates may also find that these skills can be applied outside of the private sector, and turn these organizational and analytical skills towards non-profit management.
To complete a degree program at the University of the People, students will need to have consistent access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. If students are working on a computer that is not their personal computer and are unable to save documents, it's important also to obtain an external drive. Because there are no mandatory video materials for the University of the People courses, this drive can be a simple USB drive.
Most of the learning materials that students will be dealing with in their UoPeople courses are compatible with Adobe PDF or Microsoft Office. Our learning platform, Moodle, can be accessed by the latest versions of IE, Safari, Opera, and Chrome, but we recommend that students use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. Note also that although working through a mobile device is not recommended, it is an option. There is no need to purchase software to study at the University of the People.
Students do not need to purchase Microsoft Office. Office 365, a subscription service offering Microsoft Office suite software – and so much more - is given to all UoPeople students without additional cost.
Note that whatever system students choose to use, all files shared with Course Instructors and classmates must be saved in either Microsoft-compatible formats or PDF format.
About the School
University of the People (UoPeople) is the Education Revolution. We are the first non-profit, tuition-free, American accredited online university. Dedicated to opening access to higher education globa ... Read More